classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 that won't start
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
dusty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:48 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 that won't start Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just got a 1937 Morris 8 series 1 it was not running when I bought it and was told the petrol pump was no working that has been rectified, but when I turn the engine over with the handle, every 3rd turn it fires on what seems to be one cylinder, and on the next 3rd turn it do'es the same, but I just can't seem to get it to catch and keep running, even with the accelarator pushed down, the choke in or out, It seems to have petrol and a spark, I think I have tried every combination without success.
Has anybody got any idea's Please.
Flustrated
Dusty
admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: Morris 8... Reply with quote

Hi

I don't suppose its something like plug leads/firing order? or no.1 lead (and the rest) being in the wrong connector on the dizzy cap? I had a problem with my sidevalve ford years ago, that was until it didn't have the usual 1-3-4-2 firing order for a 4 banger engine (is is 1243)

rgds
Rick
Cranki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the timing is out, check and adjust.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: not firing up Reply with quote

Maybe check that the points are opening on all 4 points on distributer shaft sometimes the points move or wear on the main spindle otherwise leads or timing.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2006 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Assuming you have checked all the basics (compression, timing, firing order) check the following;

Do the plugs smell of fuel or look wet ?, if not fuel is not getting through, try a blast of "easy start" down the carb and see if it fires then.

In my expirience with this sort of problem 9 out of 10 times the problem is electrical;
Check that the electrical connections to the coil are good, with the points closed you should have virtually the same voltage as the battery is reading, if this is not the case measure the voltage across the closed points, it should be 0v as its effectivly a short circuit, if its not the either the points are not closing or need cleaning. If it is reading 0v and the voltage across the coil is lower than the battery you must have a duff electrical connection, just trace it all back to find the fault.
Is it the right voltage coil ? ( may have a 6v 12v mixup) and is the coil connected the right way round (although this generally wont stop an engine firing up).
I allways treat unknown engines to a new set of plugs, if your plugs are not new make sure they are clean with the correct gap, of they are oiled or carboned up , burn it off with a blow lamp.
The other common culprit is the condenser, they will fail with age and are vital to produce a good spark, condenser don't just protect the points from burning out, you can only really check by substitution, but if its unknown change it anyway.

A cheap worthwile investment is a nean spark checker, made by lucas only cost a couple of quid, get them from Halfords, you can then be more confident that the engine is sparking under compresion.

Hope this helps

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: