classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris Minor - I take it all back
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, forgot,
I remember the one that Murse Gladys Emmanuelle drove, who are you calling old? :lol:
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should I say that its only the intelligent ones amongst us that remember Nurse Gladys? Very Happy

One thing that did strike me after I posted the half shaft comment. I have vague memories that BMC once said that radial tyres should never be used on Moggy's. If I have remembered correctly, could thishave been something to do with the half shafts? Question
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe, I do agree.

I wouldn't think the tyres would effect the half shafts but I may be wrong Question

The standard Morris wheels will not accept tubeless tyres without inner tubes, could that be the reason Question
admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do remember something relating to A40 Farinas (and probably applying to other BMC motors too), whereby the extra loads imposed on the steel wheels by the extra grip offered by radials, could lead to cracking between the stud holes - maybe thats what UJ is remembering, kind of? crossplies tend to hang on less that radials, giving the wheels an easier time I think

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont remember anything specifically regarding the A40 Farinas, although I could be wrong.

I could well imagine that half shaft problems were caused by the extra grip afforded by radials. There could also be another contributory fact though. Percentage wise, the Moggy did get a lot more power/torque during its lifetime. Assuming that BMC never changed the design, just this fact alone would kill them.
moggiedriver

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The axle design was changed in 1953 for the introduction of the series 2 cars fitted with an A-series engine of 803cc , as you know there were two further increases in engine size. The first was to 948cc and then later up to 1098cc. It is possible that the half-shafts were left unchanged for the final two engine upgrades. If that is so then it would explain the broken half-shafts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: