classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Shot/sand bags
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Shot/sand bags Reply with quote

Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy a sand bag in the UK, I want one to make some stuff out of copper sheet?

Chhers

Dave
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,
i see them for sale on ebay.uk, an option is an old leather purse, preferably one that matches your work shoes <just kidding!> Also a canvas, double thickness will work also. Lead shot seems to work the best, size? number 8 or 9, steel shot is ok i hear people say it rusts and clumps up. Sand is an option, but the downside is it crushes and the dust is bad for your health. What do i have? well one old canvas sand bag, with sand also good for supporting piece while knit-picking the little dings out. A 12" by 18" leather bag with 8 and 9 lead shot, 135lbs worth, soft thin leather on one side a thick/stiff leather on the other. If you plan to move it a leather handle comes in handy, i had mine sewn up by a sadlemaker here locally. And last but not least a 24" 200# round one i bought as i won a beater bag stand. It is filled with lead shot, which sells for about 15$ for a 25# bag, lucky it(the lead shot) is made nearby. here is a link to some pics well 98 of them, big bag can be seen under the GE Denterazer. http://allshops.org/cgi-bin/community/communityalbums.cgi?action=openalbum&albumid=9980155969069 Be careful with copper cuts fron it are worse than steel. Take care! tt
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was to get one sewn up what Kind of leather/canvas should I use?

Cheers for all of the advice, I will keep you informed.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy, as oldgoaly says, any saddlemaker can make you a leather sand (or shot) bag. I think that you may be able to buy one ready made from Frosts in Rochdale.

oldgoaly, I've got a feeling that you and I must be out of the same mould... I just had a look at your link!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just sent off for a catalogue from frosts so will have a look, but I know a guy who makes leather stuff, but if I ask him, what leather should I ask for, I don't want it to tear or split the first time I use it! Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgoaly is bang on as regards the leather to use, thinnish one one side, thick on the other.

I had a look at the one that Frost have. It looks like that has thick on both sides. Forget what they say about using silver sand though, and use lead shot. Why not pay Frosts a trip, and report back? that is of course, if you dare cross the Mersey (a penny, per person, per trip if you remember the ryme)!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry, its per tuppence, per person per trip!
oldgoaly

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a smooth surface, avoid textured ones. don't know about "mad cow" hide <grin> have a velcro opening sewn in so you can fill it easy empty if needed. There is a way to sew it that it gets tighter as hammered on. also it need to big enough so when you hammer the bowl shape can form in the bag. tt
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for all of the replies!
rustyreks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: sand bags Reply with quote

Dave i just picked up a book on making copper bowls basic material used for a sand bag they made a three sided bag and tied the open end with string and loosely filled it will sand i guess for panel beating a heavier leather type would be better as copper is alot softer than steel.Obviously does the job and cheap to make rustyreks.
rustyreks

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:51 am    Post subject: sand bag Reply with quote

Dave forgot to mention the material used was calico.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: