classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Scary Phone Call
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, thought from the title, that you were worried about the price, but when you consider that a reasonable respray (same colour outside only) would probably set you back approaching £2K anywhere decent then this begins to take on reality.
I once helped a mate do a shell change on an Opel Manta. It was a colossial amout of work even given the opportunity of having doner and recipient vehicles effectively side by side. This is worse workwise as a dismantled motor takes up immense amounts of space.
It is your car and you know it. Personalise it and enjoy it. Afterall you could have wasted the money on a Kia!!!
I am looking forward to seeing the finished job almost as much as you are!!
PAUL
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks yes it is scary thinking how much is about to be spent and we know we will nevr gat it back but she is our pride and joy and as previously mentioned over the years we could spend more without achieving this result . Once she is done we know it is only routine maintenance and preventative care .
Keith D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Gillberry,

I have recently restored two cars from the ground up. I have not recorded any of the money that I spent on parts or service. My vision was of the two cars both finished. I know they cost me an arm and a leg, but they are finished and I just love looking at them and driving them! I really don't care if they cost a million dollars each - it was worth it! And I haven't gone hungry either!

Fix your dream car up and then just get out there and enjoy it! You'll still get pleasure from the car long after you stop thinking about the money you spent on it!

Keith
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Keith we are looking forward to her being done and then using her . At the moment its what is keeping us going knowing that although we have a perfectly good usable classic we will end up with an excellent usable classic that will give us joy for many years to come and as we are having her done in a colour of our choice (still a volvo colour just 2yrs before she was made) she will have our mark on her .
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once the Volvo is minted up, you've a good case then to look for a scruffy regular-user!! Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tempting though it is to use that as a case for aquiring more classics we have both decided on the one classic as it halves the bills for us both compared to what we were paying which is why we can afford to go this route . Also she is such a joy to drive that we will carry on using her , its also why she will be superb but not concourse .
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main thing is gillberry is that you are happy with the end result. When you say the Amazon if having a total colour change, does this mean the restorer is removing all glass, eng etc? If this is the case then 'in my opinion' the price you have been quoted is fair.
Another point i would make is that you never really get the money back that we spend on our classics, but is that the point? I don't think it is, our Cresta cost us a lot of money to restore & that was with me doing all the stripping down & rebuilding. Its the pleasure we have had since with the Cresta that counts.
So all i would say is to just make sure you have a clear understanding of what the end result will be. Then dip your hands deep into your pockets & enjoy the results Wink After all we only come this way once, enjoy.
gillberry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes with a complete colour change everything is coming out and new is going back in where needed ie window seals .
PACresta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well at the end of the day thats not a bad price for a professional to do that.
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well today was the big day - we had to say goodbye to Gracie, we met at the place she will call her home for the next few months and i am not sure if simon had a tear in his eye as we drove away Crying or Very sad but we can call in whenever we want and they will take pics of the whole job so the plan is simon will call in every couple of weeks to see how she is doing
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gillberry wrote:
well today was the big day - we had to say goodbye to Gracie, we met at the place she will call her home for the next few months and i am not sure if simon had a tear in his eye as we drove away Crying or Very sad but we can call in whenever we want and they will take pics of the whole job so the plan is simon will call in every couple of weeks to see how she is doing

look forward to hearing how it goes, I know the feeling of entrusting a prized veehickel to the attentions of others ... pop in regularly, ask lots of questions, question everything, and don't always tell them you're coming around Smile

R
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simon went and checked them out a while ago and it was not till tonight when i met them you know that feeling of i have seen you before and he said something about seeing the car around and where he had seen it that i twigged where we walk our dogs at the same place so if all does not go well i will set our two on his two and ours are bigger Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: