classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Car tax exemtion, Important!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Car tax exemtion, Important!! Reply with quote

Hi

Have a look at the info below and then sign the pettition if you agree, please agree!! Very Happy

Currently cars have to have been constructed before a set date - the 1st January 1973 to be eligible for historic car tax exemption. We the undersigned would like the date to be move as it has been fixed for a number of years. A number of cars which were built in British factories are becoming few and far between and would like the Government to help preserve these cars by offering and extension on the current exemption date.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/historiccartax/

Cheers
Very Happy
Dave
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In theory a rolling cut-off date, as was introduced by the Tories but nobbled by Labour, does seem fair. I'd put the rolling exemption date at 30 or even 35 years though, not 25 as it was before.

If it went back to a 25 year rolling, cars upto 1981 would be falling into the zero £ road tax band now, and I'm not sure enlarging the pool of cars that fall into this classification would be a good thing (ie it'd be a bigger target on the radar at budget time to cancel the classification altogether).

Worse, make the pool too large and I could see them imposing (or at least trying to impose) restrictions on the use of such cars altogether.

I personally don't see 1980/81 cars as being particular historically significant yet, and I'm not entirely sure I'd be comfortable with them becoming 'historic' as their taxation class. Sure lots of people won't agree with me though Wink

Give me a 30 or 35 year rolling exemption and I'd support it

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Yeah I probably agree with you but if it saves me a hundread or more pounds a year, signing up is worth it, making newer cars fall into the historical section doesn't mean that the indervidual has to believ in that!

30 year cut off is fine as my estate is 31 this year! Very Happy

Having it frozen for ever is wrong, having cars in 10 years time that are going to be well over 30 years old, still paying tax?

Thats only my oppinion!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it would save you a few quid I suppose, but the way I see it, with the rabble we have in at the moment, any perk like this we should feel quite lucky about, and sometimes pushing the boat out only scuppers the whole thing!

trick is to by a proper old car in the first place Wink Wink Wink

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Is that a hint?

I think I will have to bring my dad over for you to convince, then I will glady spend every last bit of my savings on oldies!

Confused

He he

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Dave, I am with Rick on this one.

The Petitioner doesn't request a specific date for the cut off and thus weakens his case in my opinion.

I wouldn't object to the date rolling at 30 years, but any newer begins to cost the Exchequer too much money that would then make them give too much consideration to the whole issue. If we just keep quiet they might leave us alone.
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m all in favour of this, having just forked out £175 for my 1976 Stag! Which does about 3000 miles a year, but only have to pay £135 for my modern (407 2.0l diesel) which does 25,000 a year!
However I read an article last year in which Lord Montague was interviewed, he was a big influencer in getting the original 25 year Historic vehicle tax status, he commented though that this would be unlikely to change as the number of cars on the DVLA database that are post 1973 rises significantly, and would put a dent in the governments coffers, even some sort of sliding scale would be good but probably too difficult to administer?

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short term yeah it'd be great for anyone with a mid/late 70s motor, but I would worry that too many cars falling into that taxation class could cause problems for all older cars further down the line.

I would however support a reduced taxation rate for any post-72 car (including quite recent stuff even) if it was only ever insured on a limited mileage insurance policy (say upto 3000 miles a year)

R
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: