classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Nostalgic photographs?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Nostalgic photographs? Reply with quote

Anyone who has read some of the Classic car monthlies will be familiar with the 'Nostalgia' type pages where old vehicles are shown in going about their daily business in period black and white photographs.

My question is where does one find such stuff? There must be photographic archives for most major towns and cities and I would dearly like to find a suitable website that has them on display, I love to see the old cars filling the busy streets or parked up outside a football match!

If anyone knows of a site on which many 'days gone by' type pic's can be seen please post the link here.
admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Old Nail

take it you've been here ? Wink Wink Wink

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photographs.htm

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh heh! Oh yes!

That's just the kind of thing I mean, Practical Classics magazine had them by the score at one time but I never could find out where they got them from!
admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes searching on google for old <town name> photos, and phrases like that, can bring up some good stuff. Some of the photos I have on my site originated on the Mirfield Memories website, that a regular contact of mine pointed me towards. The site owner gave me the ok, and I repeated his street scenes on oldclassiccar

Local town and village websites, that have a History or Archive section, is the way to go I think. Often they don't describe the photos too well, so it can involve wading through lots of images showing waterfalls, old hotels and the like, before you find something automotive!

Rick
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick

Quite a good collection of pics here, all of Chelmsford in Essex, but as you say you have to hunt for motoring photos.

http://www.francisfrith.com
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is a good site with many old photos of many different towns!

Cheers

Dave
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave - thanks for telling me.

My Shortcut (sent to me by someone else a long time ago) went to one picture on the Chelmsford page, and I had never looked at the rest of the site!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went on the mentioned site ages ago. When I looked at the pictures of my old town, I found that they weren't....I mailed them, but the photos were still there a while later. It doesn't matter if the only thing is to look at old scenes and so on, but if someone is buying them for other memories, they should beware!

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah could be bad, I only look at places I know, so it is fun reconising how it was before the world saw me!

Thanks for bringing the site to my attention Brian M

Cheers

Dave
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that link Brian that's a giant of a site.

I have been to it before but as with so many sites the pictures tend mainly toward the Victorian or Edwardian era whereas I'm after the 1950'-60's.

There was also the 'Mass observation' photographic project carried out in my old home town of Bolton in the 1930's which made interesting reading, see it here.
http://www.boltonmuseums.org.uk/HTML/spender/images.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: