classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Anyone had a go at racing/rallying?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Anyone had a go at racing/rallying? Reply with quote

Its always appealed to me, although open wheel racing looks a bit scary and £pricey. Road rallying in a 60s saloon, probably an Amazon, could be an option some time, just got me wondering who on here (if anyone) has done much competetive driving over the years????

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it count if carried out on two wheels? Cool
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even just one wheel is good enough for me!

R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of things do you want to know about?

Just to be boring, my cousins lad is racing at present, on two wheels(sometimes!) of course!
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interested in any first hand accounts of racing in years gone by really, I seem to remember Stuchamp has had a go at drag racing I think, so thought I'd bring the subject up!

R
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep, I drag raced for a few years, from stocks to dragsters (AHRA & NHRA).
Also ran a dirt stock car (IMCA) a few times and did some motorcycle racing (AMA).
Also did a few timed SCCA events long ago.
Used to be a lot of fun! Very Happy
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick

If you are serious about an Amazon (what an excellent choice!) then Rob Henchoz at www.amazoncars.co.uk is the man.

He not only builds them, sells all parts for them at fair prices, has a lot of contacts for buying one that is already prepared, but is out rallying most weekends, currently in a PV544 but previously in a 1967 Amazon. What he learns on these events is soon offered to his customers.

You need to choose carefully which model you use because the later ones like mine are considered too good for historic rallies and have been banned from getting FIA papers. Earlier Amazons are ok!
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe yeah its something I've thought about, although I'd have to shift some of my 'road' projects if I was to have a bash at road rallies (I'd be interested in the less formal events).

Certainly if I ever pursue the idea, I'd drop your contact a line.

I once owned a 122S that had been used for rallying, but it was rotten underneath and eventually went to a Canadian bloke, who wanted it as a spares donor for the 120 that he campaigned in European rallies.

Rick
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I went through a motorsport stage and my friend is studying motorsport at uni! that has got to be one good course! I have grown out of motorsport a little at the moment but have a feeling it may come back!

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mind boggles at the courses that you can take at university nowadays. I wonder what bright spark thought up that one! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: