classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Gentlemen, start your wallets...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Gentlemen, start your wallets... Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230056150411&fromMakeTrack=true

Shocked Shocked £££££

Rick
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa! Shocked $ Cool
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's a "time water"?

I do hate it when sellers complain of time wasters and dreamers contacting them. Apart from being rude and hardly in the spirit of friendliness that custom restoration engenders, it may put off potential enthusiasts, maybe even potential buyers.

I reckon he is optimistic asking 10 grand. That's the trouble with a ground-up restoration, it distorts your perception of value. When I wanted a J type about 4 years ago I was told I could pay as much as 4 or 5 grand; certainly no hint of paying twice that. I see he had it done by professionals.....that will have been expensive and out of all proportion to true value, which is great if you are sentimental about the vehicle, but if you are sentimental, you don't sell it very soon afterwards.

Just my opinion.
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rivet

Yup it does seem top dollar for a J, even a very smart one. It looks nice but isn't mint inside which I'd expect for £10k. It may well have cost £10k to do, especially if paying someone to do it for you, but getting that investment back is always a long shot afterwards!! Be interesting to see how it goes anyway, I doubt anyone would bid without having a Very close look at the bodywork - shiny paint can hide a lot!

Rick
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like these vans myself, but as far as being worth £10 000, the guys not only optimistic, he's got no roof in his mouth!

Its worth watching though, because if he gets so much or more, from what I have seen so far, certain forum members are going to be very rich in the future... and more so than this guy!
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone notice the front indicators on the wings? I am sure they are a modern addition. The period ones are under the headlights and were white; these new ones are far lower down (legal statutory height?). Interesting, especially as they haven't felt opbliged to get a front bumper.

I like the vans bumperless and wouldn't have put indicators on.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting points you make , rivet.

On the ad, it says something about restored by a professional company. In my opinion, the company cant be very professional if they use "wrong" parts or miss others, can they?

Or am I just being stupid? The way I see things, pro's should do a better job than amateurs.
admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, it didn't sell. There was a J for sale locally a little while back, I think it was advertised for a smidge under 4k, although I did hear 2 interested parties ran the price up to around 6, which was a bit steep as I remember looking over the van at a show. Still, they are rare. The maroon ebay one I'd have thought was worth around 6 maybe, tops, if the body was proper with no filler ladled upon it.

Rick
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

he has gone and relisted it on ebay....with the same starting bid of 10K! Some people just don't get a hint, do they!
admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe yeah I guess he has nothing to lose by re-listing, although the run-up to Christmas isn't the best time to get top £ for anything really

Er indoors always goes gooey-eyed whenever she sees a J Type, maybe one day I'll get one a) if I can find a decent one b) if I have sufficient £££ in reserve to buy it at the time. A JB would be best bet really

Rick
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'ave mine if yer like

only ten big ones! Laughing
admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

once again back on, this time with a lower start bid, but now has a Reserve...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VINTAGE-COMMERCIAL-MORRIS-VAN-10-CWT-JB-NOT-J-TYPE_W0QQitemZ230080901260QQihZ013QQcategoryZ31361QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Rick
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, he listed it last week at ten grand and it didn't sell again, I think the light is dawning! Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someones going to be out of pocket!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: