classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

J Van from Oz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
kaybee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: J Van from Oz Reply with quote

Greetings from down here. I'm new here, thought I'd share a pic with you folks of a J van I built for a friend a few years ago,

It's running a mid mounted Buick V6, XJ6 front and rear suspension, space frame chassis. It's set up as a 4 seater and is the family car for Split Enz drummer Noel Crombie. It started as a fairly rough body and needed the usual rust repair that most require, wheel arches, lower sills ,rear quarter's,etc, though not as bad as it seems you guy's have to deal with ! Have to say I'm impressed with the dedication displayed on this forum in the way you tackle some of the restoration projects. Over here people tend to shy away from badly rusted vehicles and just look out for something better to start with. I guess it helps with the milder climate and no salt on the roads, and there is still a pretty fair range of available old cars to choose from, Cheers, Col.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have done a through job!

Welcome from me by the way!

Cheers

Dave
Rivet_101

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a beauty, Col....and love the teardrop trailer too! Very Happy
kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,much appreciated Very Happy .The teardrop van has since been restored, I'll put a pic on the caravan section soon, cheers, Col.
Scotty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat! Cool
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tear drop in the same livery as the van?
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J looks great, especially as you've kept the original look of it without making it look rodded. I'm sure you've seen pics of the customised one in the UK, but thats a bit OTT to my eyes

Smile
Rick
kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys, no I haven't seen the J van , be interested though. Yes, the teardrop is in similar colours to the Morris. We painted it in the colours we used in the art deco inspired kitchen of our house, only after it was painted did we realise it matched the Morris Embarassed .

Here 'tis, I'll post some in the caravan section as well, cheers, Col.
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fab little 'van that!!

I've got a few pics of Js on the main site, including some in here:
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/carphotos.htm

the custom one in the UK that I was thinking of is this one, nicely done but prefer yours!

Rick
Cool
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For some reason that looks like a dinky toy!
admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I know what you mean, the photo I got (not taken by me) had the background blurred out, which gives that effect I think..

R
kaybee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pics, that's a ripper van, looks really neat. Do you know what running gear it has? Looks like he has the engine under the seats same as we did, that was one of the challenges, to fit the engine and not have it drag on the pavement whilst still allowing you to sit without your head hitting the roof. The only way it could be done was to use really shallow seats and run the engine on LP gas and mount the mixer ( carby) on long ram tubes behind the engine and just above the trans housing. It was very experimental and we were not sure if it would be successful, but luckily it works a treat !....just as well 'coz there's nowhere else to put it Very Happy , thanks again, Col.
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Col, from memory I think it has a V6 of some flavour in it, but a look online should bring up more info on it. Its been done nicely thats for sure.

cheers, Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: