classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

classic market square
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: classic market square Reply with quote

I found this photo today. I wonder how many of you know when it was taken, (I dont) Where (that I do) and what the various vehicles are.

UJ
admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great picture, if the car bang in the middle, in the distance, is a Devon, then it'd be post-47, not sure on the cars closer to the camera - is the left one a Daimler?

the fleet of coaches on the left is interesting, and I bet quite distinctive to someone who knows their old bus/coach fleets

I think I can see a Morris 8, and the light vans are interesting. Is the lorry on the right a Bedford, ex military with the angular front end tinwork (such as an OY perhaps?)

Rick
alfanut

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some interesting cars in the foreground, Yes I also think the one on the left is a Daimler. The other two look coachbulit and a bit upmarket for a bus station Confused Rolls-Royce.
The coaches are more difficult, the same bodies would appear on several different chassis, as still happens today. so time to put on my anorak. Wink In spite of the full-fronted bodywork the nearest three aren't underfloor engined, you can tell that from the position of the front axle. They look too big to be Bedford SBs, the usual suspects, so they might be Leyland Tigers. The double deck buses at the back are a lot easier; they are all Leyland PD2s with Leyland bodies. Very distinctive styling and my all-time favourite bus Smile
Where is it? Leyland buses, brick mill, (if I only I could make out the name), mill chimneys in the background. Could it be somewhere in Fred Dibnah country (Lancashire) and about 1950?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of things that I can tell you about the photo. The building at the rear is not a mill, in the 50's or '60's it was known as 'The Gas Showrooms.' The space to the right is a cricket pitch - or at least was.

My own suspicions is that it is pre 1950 (though I dont really know). The reason that I think this is that in the 1950's, the place where the single coach (in front of the Double deckers) was a building.

And just to confuse you all, the double decker coachwork was made in this town! Shocked (?)

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: