classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Cross Ply Tyres and Headlining
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Mistydog

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Cross Ply Tyres and Headlining Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone can help me please.
1st? -I have Dunlop xply tyres which threadwise are like new. Unfortunately the side walls have very slight cracks which seem only skin deep. Is there any way I can restore them? At around £100 each, you will understand why I need to explore all possibilities before buying new tyres.
2nd?- I have the choice of pure wool or wool/nylon headlining material at the same price. Is one better (ie easier to fit etc) than the other?
By the way, I am restoring a 1936 Austin 10. Any advice will be greatly appreciiated.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Welcome allong, look forward to seeing some piccies and information on your restoration in the introduction thread??? Wink

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Misty, welcome to the forum.

If you had asked me the question about the tyres 12 months ago, I would have said use them. But then a friend totalled his 57 Buick due to a tyre literally exploding! The remaining ones looked no worse than you have described! So....

What we found out later (from insurance /police) was that even unused tyres have a shelf life 6- 10 years. The age can be checked by the date on the tyre, if you know where to look and how to translate it!

Regarding your headlining. My old Austin 12 had a West of England wool Headliner, which I assume would be the same material as yours originally. So go for the pure stuff!

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with UJ's post above regarding the headlining.

I am due to replace my old Austin Somerset's headlining and from what I have read in preparation to starting it you can 'iron out' any final kinks (should you have any) once the lining is fitted by using steam inside the car and the steam will ease out the creases.

I wouldn't think a synthetic material would react the same way as natural wool would.
Mistydog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your helpful replies. I think it is best to give up the idea of restoring or doctoring the tyres. Why is it my attempts to be a skinflint never succeed?
In light of what's been said, I shall go for the pure wool headlining. I have been quoted £19.80 a metre plus VAT which does not seem too bad. If anyone is faced with a higher price, let me know and I will tell you my supplier.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I like Old-Nail's signature!

"Cheap cars never are!"

Very true!!

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty

I need some 450x18s (or close) just to store my Austin 10 on while its in the garage (it currently has no tyres at all, only sandblasted rims!), what size are your tyres??

ta
Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Misty,I dont suppose your supplier has any napped Mohair for a headliner I will be making up shortly, does he?

And for you others, no guys, I've still not found any in a suitable size...

UJ
Mistydog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick- the tyres on my Austin are 500/525 x 16. I might have some 18" tyres off a Morris 8; I will check (they are in a store some distance away) Did you know that 5 wire wheels and tyres 4.5 x 18 are being advertised on Ebay (classic car parts, under Austin 10) ?
Uncle Joe- sorry, 'my' supplier does not list mohair. How different is mohair from melton cloth in appearance? I assume it is softer to the touch.
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Misty, ah just noticed that you're in NI so may be a bit far to collect!
thanks for the headsup on ebay, will go have a look

cheers
Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Misty, Napped Mohair looks like coarse felt. As someone on here tipped me, its the kind of material they use for Teddy Bears. The trouble is, no-no-one makes a two metre wide Teddy! Very Happy

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: