classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Insurance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
dpr

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

Just insurred the Lotus with Lancaster.

About £165 for 5K miles and another £27 for recovery. Under £200 for both, very happy.

No NCD required or earned on the policy, so I can use this on the other car now.

For an extra £15 they'll do guaranteed value.

http://www.lancaster-ins.co.uk/quick/YAHOO_intro.htm?OVRAW=classic%20car%20insurance&OVKEY=classic%20car%20insurance&OVMTC=standard
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

more details and a direct link also on the main site Smile

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic_insurance.htm

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of insurance I saw the RAC trailer with that big black boxing dude and the beetle so went on to their site.

For me to innsure the mini ( it's a 1275) with my 17 yr old son as a named driver with 5 years no claims came back as a tad under £550. Normal quotes have been stupid city like the cheapest being £1500 +.

So I phoned them up to see what i'd done wrong and the lad said nothing. We checked everything and double checked it.

I then said I had built up the NCD on the omega and could i use it on there as well when I renew in April.
He then said no but also said why not transfer the NCD to the mini and start again on the miggy. Right ho I said, a 2.6 V6 rocket ship with no NCB......me and my wife ....£530.00 Fully comp.

Both cars insured for about £1k and the bairn, who has had a provisional licence for 6 months gets to drive.

If anyone knows better let me know....
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently insured by Carole Nash but a recent event has spoiled it a bit.

I bought an old Ford Popular and insured it for 3000 miles at a cost of £120, I then unexpectedly sold it the following week!

That was just before Christmas and I recently remembered about the unused policy and so sent it back with over eight months still to run.

So that's over 2 thirds of the insurance left, and my rebate?.... £18.52p Crying or Very sad
I rang to ask why it was so little and was told that they calculate the total refund over four months after which you get nothing at all which seems pretty sharp practice to me.

When I asked why it was done this way when other insurers calculate the refund using some kind of pro-rata scheme the girl on the phone said it was because the insurance was cheap in the first place!!!

And there was I thinking it was because I was 47 years old with 25 years driving experience and no claims... how little I know!
gillberry

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just insured both my sd1's on the same policy with footman james for £238 fully comp only 4500 miles for both though .
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The killer part is my son. He's 17 on a 6 month provisional licence !! never even sat in a car let alone driven one.

For the jag ( when it's done) will be in the region of £267 for unlimited driving ,fully comp with PNCB for all three of us, the son, wife and me....I didn't ask about the dog though!!

It really is a bloody minefield but hey ho onwards and upwards.....
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

When I have tried t insure cars, being only 21, I was told by numerous insurers that you can't have a classic untill you are 21 or 25! I have found insurance to be a bit of a killer, I have now got one laid up, and may just upgrade it when I want to take it somewhere!

Never had an accident (touch wood!) but all my friends have had numerous, they laugh about it, but it really anoys me in that my premium is pushed up by there mistakes!! Twisted Evil

Cheers

Dave
mike13/60

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: hi Reply with quote

im with footman james and i have been since i was 19, i bought my herald in 2006 before my 20th birthday and it cost me £460 then this year when i got it renewed it was only £430 its 3rd party fire an theft with a limited milage of 6000 a year like but its not bad for a 21 year old in liverpool and the herald has a 1500 engine and it has full breakdown cover too!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

What cover do people opt for, for rarely used cars, fully comp, third party fire and theft or just third party?

Cheers

Dave
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing in mind I have yet to insure a classic for me it would have to be the fully comp now everytime. I'd also want agreed value etc because insurance companies only pay out on market price and a 1968 MKii jag isn't worth a lot in it's present state.

Like personal, house insurance or health insurance etc I hope I never have to claim on it but if I do then I know that the car I've spent too much time on, too much effort, blood and money on will be at least repaired without too much effort on my part the second time around.

However.....if there was a policy that covered me for fully comp but which paid out cash for me to repair the damage, ( not write off / buy back schemes ) then I'd be interested because if it cost a pro to do the job then I'm sure i could do the repair cheaper even if it took longer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: