classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

air con?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
mike13/60

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: air con? Reply with quote

heres my first post an i hope its not a stupid question but here goes.

is it possable to fit air conditioning into a classic car? because last summer was hell in my herald, not to mention my heater was broke so all it belw was hot air! and now there saying this summers going to be even hotter thank god my heater is fixed but even so those pvc seats heat up. i was thinking of getting a mkii ford consul as my next car an air con in one of those would be great just wanted to know if it is possible?

thanks, mike.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

Yes, it is possible to fit A/C to a classic car. The easiest way is to use one of the systems for Hot Rods. Note though that I said 'easiest,' not 'easy'!! Very Happy

UJ
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

You can by a airconditioning unit for a mini, that fits under the dash in the passenger side footwell, not sure how powerful they are, if they are big enough for your herald, but worth looking into.

I can't remember who sells them, but they allways used to be advertised in the mini magazines, if you can't find them, let me know and I will have a look in some old magazines and ask a few people to try and find out.

Cheers

Dave
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it could make things worse if the sun was directly overhead, how about looking for a roof section from a 12/50 saloon - they had the folding Webasto sunroof as standard, which may help with added ventilation while driving along

Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I've misread this post, but is the AC for the Triumph or a MKII Consul?

UJ
old gto

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
The easiest way is to use one of the systems for Hot Rods.

Quite true. There`s an outfit in the US called "Vintage Air", who sells parts, or complete systems. They can fit one to near ANY hot rod, street rod, or classic car. Try....
http://vintageair.com
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, they're the people I was thinking of. Couldn't remember their name though - my 440 has addled my brain! Laughing

If I've not said it before, welcome along!

UJ
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/rimmer/tr7/coolheat

these sell the units complete for about £180 if tha helps.

Also welcome to the board
mike13/60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

would that fit into my hearld? also my car has a 1500 dolomite engine so does anyone know if one could be fitted into my car? because if it can i will buy one!
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the air conditioners compressor is driven by an electric motor (like fridges are) , rather than directly off the engine it would make for a simpler installation.
Also any air con will work most effectively when the space it is trying to cool is well sealed, i.e. you don’t wont it trying to cool the boot or engine bay or worse still the air outside the car! I’d speak to Rimmers they are a good bunch and know Triumphs inside out.
Keep us updated, people will be interested in this project.

Dave
mike13/60

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for that ill give them a ring tomorrow an let you all know what they say.
chimpchoker

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike 13/60...you will learn over time that i am a technophobe so asking me if it will work is well wide of the mark, lol.

I just done a google and that came up for air con on TR7's so being rimmer and as UKDave said they know a lot about triumphs.

Speaking of technophobes, I've just got a new printer / scanner and all in one thingy and also found a photo of my humber septre so I'm currently trying to scan that to show you.....maybe a christmas present.

.....Hang on a minute....bright idea there, Rick, do you have plans for a classic old car christmas card ?????? People submit their old cars in a christmas setting with the list picking the winners perhaps

Maybe a short run for us all to buy with the profits going to help keep the site open??

...just a thought, i'll go back to sleep now.

Alan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: