classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New season 2011 - just how far do you travel?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Knowsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: New season 2011 - just how far do you travel? Reply with quote

Had the cover off the old girl a couple of weeks ago, put the cushions and curtains back in and loaded her up and went away weekend just gone to a lovely site in Stoke Gabriel, South Devon. Good weather for March, by day the sun was shining, still a litle cold at night so plugged in the electric fire and had it set on low tick over. Still the oldest van on site! The other 19 vans on the farm were all plugged in enjoying the luxury of hot water and double glazing!!

Anyone else taken their old faithfuls out so far this year?

Last edited by Knowsley on Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Onlyrwd

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not got one in a useable condition yet but its good to see someone out with an old Caravan for a weekend away not just to shows. I intend to use mine for holidays properly and of course tow it with a similar aged car, spend the whole time talking to passers by about it Very Happy

78 Cavalier GL
78 Manta Berlinetta

67/68 Thomson Glenelg WANTED
gillberry

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ours is all packed and ready to go, just waiting for our work patterns to match Very Happy
Knowsley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick i'm still reading your thomson restoration with interest one day she will be out in the farmers field again!

Leaving my van fully loaded now, next trip in 2 weeks time and then meeting friends for easter the following week after that

I should add the site we visited was only 8 miles away from home but we don't normally travel too far without proper planning as we have 3 cats which need feeding unless we arrange a cat sitter to pop round but other people have busy lives too so we can easily pop back home and feed them ourselves every other day. What is surprising though again being only 8 miles away from home how much of this lovely country of ours we don't know about and what is on our doorstep. Had a lovely walk around Galmpton Creek and relaxing walk down pass Agatha Cristies old house called Greenaways and then a passenger ferry ride across the River Dart to Dittisham.

We could of been 200 miles away as far as I was concerned when I pulled back those caravan curtains in the morning and had egg and bacon for breakfast!

Anyone else travel local - what with rising fuel prices it certainly makes sense!

David
Dalek63

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are members of the Caravan Club and take our old Car Cruiser all over. At the begining of March we had a week at Bath, A great time, even though it was a bit cold. Just got our forms for entering the Blandford Steam and vintage show. We won first in our section last year so have to go this to return the cup ! Laughing
emmerson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knowlsely, come on, get some in!
We're meeting up with a few othe Royales in Cheshire tomorrow, then on to Cumbria on Monday, then to a Royale Rally in Gatehouse-of-Fleet, Scotland, for ten days.
That's just a warm up, though. Leaving home on the 17th May, we'll be taking the old Royale to a club rally in Warwick, then on to Dover, across to France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, into Sweden for the European Classic Caravan Rally, back down through Denmark, Germany, Czech Republic, Austria, Switzerland, France and then finishing with the Club's 40th anniversary rally near Spalding.
All this with a 32 year old Royale caravan, and an 18 year old Range Rover.
BrianM will be joining us in Sweden, but he's only got a Safari, so we let him pretend to be a Royale for the Euro events! Very Happy
Knowsley

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emmerson

It's okay for you guys that are retired and got all the time in the world

Some of us have to work to pay the mortgage you know!

Hope to see you in Sunny South Devon in September though

David
emmerson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back from the Scottish holiday, and a great time was had by all. I had just fitted a new A frame and some s/h road springs, so this trip was a shake-down, really, but all went well.
As for retirement, well, yes, I guess we are lucky that we got out of the rat-race at the right time.
Three weeks now to prepare for the biggie, but i am looking forward to joining you all in Devon, as it's not an area I very familiar with.
See you then.
christine lowery

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: how far do you tow Reply with quote

hi knowsley just got the royale back from our scotish rally with a long weekend stopover in the beautifull eden valley with a couple of our members
i have a 77 touranger sited north of penrith so apart from royale rallys we dont tow much. scotland 260 miles, linconshire 400 miles, devon (to far to count) towcester and chester just a few to add on so all in all the 69 t125 or the 72 f1475 will do adout 2000 miles this year

christine Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: