classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Aviation art.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:06 pm    Post subject: Aviation art. Reply with quote

Hi all,

I thought it might interest some to post a non-classic car painting for a change.

This one was completed last week and shows a German Focke-Wulf 190 aircraft abandoned in an alpine meadow at the wars end, I called it 'May 1945'.

The Fw190 was used by the German Luftwaffe in a variety of roles during WWII and proved itself to be a tough and formidable opponent.
Here it is shown in a typical scene at the wars end, short of fuel it has been cannibal-ised for spare parts and abandoned.

It is painted in oil on canvas measuring approx 18 inches by 14..
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one!!

You have real talent!!

Cheers

Dave
old gto

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL work! I like old warbirds, especially bi-wing type. But I am a real fan of later commercial private jets, like the Lear, or Cessna Citation. Any of those in your collection of master pieces?
Wether or not....I`d like to see more of your work!
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gto,

Thanks for the comments, my usual subjects are pre-1970 vehicles of all kinds... and mostly the ones that have been left abandoned for some time and so appeal to that instinct in me that they 'could be saved'.

I also like aviation subjects but would tend toward the old 'warbirds' of the WWII era, as to me there's nothing quite like the sound of a merlin engine, or the whistle of a fuel injected Daimler-Benz engined Messerschmitt 109 as it soars overhead. Cool

I guess I just like old things, so as yet there are no lears, but hey - who knows what might crop up next! Wink
old gto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pre 1970............
HMMMM...... didn`t Gates introduce the first Lear in 1965? LOL!
But yes, Messerschmitt, Fokker, and the Mustang were some amazing planes for their day.
Do you have any of your paintings on a website I could visit?
I like old things too. In fact, our e-mail address is oldstuff@bellsouth.net
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL - yeah I meant the cars really, I found the seventies to be the era of boxy tin-mobiles so that's my cut-off point for interest I'm afraid.

I did post a few old paintings here on the forum a while back you can still see them here.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1666&highlight=paintings
john-saab

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your paintings are fantastic...the split vw is great.
A couple of questions...do you sell them...and do you do commisions?

Just went back and see that you sell and do commisions..you have PM Very Happy
old gto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the old post. All I can say is....WOW!
Do you have any of the Ford Cobra?
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gto,

Ford Cobra, not as yet.

There are quite a few different types 'in the pipeline' with some classic racing and historic rally vehicles also planned.

I have just seen an excellent dvd of the Monte Carlo rallies of the 1950's and that too has inspired me to paint a few scenes based on those races too!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

old-nail, we have touched on this subject before, but do you ever do any Nose Art?

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't done any in the past UJ but I'm open minded about it.

I was looking at a couple of B17's with some interesting nose art on a website a week or so ago and I wondered then if there would be any interest in aviation paintings showing it.

I think for best results the aircraft would have to be depicted stationary and quite large as opposed to in the air at a distance.

Is there anything in particular you might like to see?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi old-nail. Yes there is. I've been toying with a couple of ideas, based on Alberto Vargas designs. He was brilliant, wasn´t he? I've been trying to get hold of his biography, without success

My Lincoln was built in a plant that I believe - though not 100% sure - was used for building B-24 Liberators during WWII. As females usually like this car, I've been thinking of a small logo for the boot lid based on one of his designs. Who cares about 'political correctness'!!!!

Its always males that like my 300, so I've been thinking of another design for that, again based on AV's work.

UJ
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Vargas was a talented man indeed.

If you were to have a little Vargas type girl put on your cars I think the best way to go would be to speak to an airbrush artist.

Those guys do some spectacular work on custom cars and motorcycles and the finish would be indistinguishable from the actual paint surface whereas something hand painted wouldn't have the same slickness as it would appear 'painted on' if you get me?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: