classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Super shiny or a bit 'weathered' ??
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick

My Dad is a bit unique when it comes to cars, he is not nostalgic about them at all, just practical. He swapped that 1956 Morris for a much later 2 door saloon that had had a soft top conversion all because it was in better condition than his and had some “good” add on’s!, he wanted to stick with a Morris because he knew the cars and had some spares for them, the fact that he had his original car from new for over 40 years with box files of history down to every petrol receipt really didn’t enter the equation! It was just a practical decision!!!

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dudes and Dudettes, dont get me wrong here.

When I've mentioned the fact that a good painter can get the gloss that is required, what I meant was the gloss that could be made to look the same as it was when it left the factory. I dont mean deliberately distressing new paintwork to look weathered/old.

UK brought up a good point regarding his Dads Morris. My own personal opinion is that when it was sold, it was far more original than if it had been totally restored, despite the changes.

Thinking back to my own younger days, when Minis and Anglias ruled, I dont remember seeing many original ones even then, unless they were owned by a Wrinklie!

Cracking discussion, by the way!

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can do distressed painting straight from the gun! then need a load of elbow grease to get if flat and shinny Confused
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave's post reminds me of my own dad, he's pushing 80 now but hasn't an ounce of nostalgia regarding cars.

The other day I called to see him in my old Vanguard and he took ten minutes asking me why I would want such an ugly old car when I could have had a newer one!
He even compared his 1992 Renault Clio to it and said how much more modern and streamlined his was by comparison! Confused

Another example of my dad's logic is when my mother returned home to find all her antique Victorian china set smashed in the bin, she thought there had been an accident with them but no... my dad threw them out because - "they were all covered in loads of little cracks, and a brand new set is only £12 at Woolworths!" Rolling Eyes
old gto

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh MERCY! And how long was he in the dog-house for THAT? LOL!
kaybee

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GTO, here's something shiny for you,

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Austin-Flying-A-bonnet-ornament_W0QQitemZ260098104559QQcategoryZ72476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It would be fairly cheap to post to the US, so happy bidding, cheers, Col.
old gto

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks kaybee! I emailed the seller, he say`s he`d post it to the US, so I`ll keep my eye on it!
kaybee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So..did you win ?, Col.
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey gto are you an Austin owner?
pigtin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends what you want from an old car, I can remember going to country shows in the 90s where it was knee deep in mud, yet, enthusiasts from a certain sports car marque had set up mirrors under the front of the car to show how shiny it was there; did they ever use these cars on the road?
My old cars have to earn their living and my main enjoyment is in driving them, it's what they were made for: I have friends with immaculately restored vehicles who are paranoid about leaving them anywhere, and it can often spoil any run or outing.

But its 'horses for courses' while I am fortunate in being able to handle almost any repair job on the car, there are others without the facilities to do this and I can understand their concern about damage. Polishing could well have become their main contribution to the maintenance of the vehicle and you have to face the fact that an immaculate shiny car is always a crowd pleaser.

As for my rather 'laid back' approach to appearance; I was once told that one should wash a car at least twice a year. Irrespective of whether it needed it, or not!

But seriously; even if I don't polish it often I pay meticulous attention to the electrics and running gear. I fear the embarassment of breaking down almost more than any slight damage the car may receive when parked.
Scotty

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
hey gto are you an Austin owner?

Hi ON,

No, not an Austin owner, old gto collects radiator mascots - he's got a fantastic collection. He and his other half are the original "pack-rats" and I mean that in the nicest way possible, their home is a veritable museum of fabulous collectables.

And whatever you do don't ask about their "Coca Cola" collection - they don't like to talk about it! Razz
old gto

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! LOL! The few photos of the garage on another thread are just the tip of the iceberg!
I missed the Austin Flying A....I was busy in the garage and time got away from me. It had passed before I knew it. Deb & I were playing with fiberglass again!
But I will add a flying A someday to the other 80-some caps & ornaments.
And Scotty.....we`ve had to build 2 more cases since you saw them last, and made the smaller ones bigger!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: