classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

My minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got one of those chrome bonnet locks Cool

They are very rare.

Nice looking car Smile

J C
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Malta they are quite common though!
I remember lots of minis with them!
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have started some work on the surf blue mini at last.
Last saturday the engine was pulled out. It took us twice as long cause the pins on the gear selector rods did not want to come out so after trying a lot of different things to get them out and not succeeding, there was only one way to go, take the engine out complete with them rods hanging, so they were unbolted from the floor pan, gear lever removed and the engine pulled out with a lot of caution!!
Once out the car was pushed back and the offending pins removed!!

On Tuesday I started scraping off the dirt and paint in the engine bay, and continued doing so yesterday, almost half way through now.
Today I might start degreasing the engine to get it ready for painting since I got fed up of scraping paint and sanding!!

Progress photos will be added later.
bob2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On wednesday I continued scraping off some paint after dismantling the wiper motor and other stuff from the bulkhead and then started sanding down the same area, half of the bay is ready sanded with 80 grit, now after some more dismantling I can do the other half.
On Thursday though I was fed up with the sanding so started degreasing the engine instead and within 2 hours work the old paint was starting to show, albeit there's not much of it left!!
Still need to clean the engine a bit more and sand down old paint etc with sand paper.
Hopefully next week I can start painting stuff!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To continue from where I left, on Friday nothing was done as I prefered to go to the sea with my family.
However on saturday, my cousin and I met up and spent around 4 - 5 hours polishing alloy and bare steel stuff from the engine and bay and the results were quite satisfying!
Today I will be towing the mini to a welder nearby to have a small patch in the front panel and another small patch in the subframe welded up.
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday was spent cleaning and de rusting some items, mainly the radiator, radiator cowling and fan pulley, then gave them a coat of rust converter even though very little spots of rust were left, mainly in places were I could not access much!!
This took me around 2 and a half hours.
Today I should get the mini back from the welder and start painting the stuff I did yesterday as I won't have much time to play around!!
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob2

Any piccies Question
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will take some tomorrow cause I always forget to take the camera!
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I did take pics but the batteries are now flat so I need to charge them and then upload them!!
However, things have moved, the items mentioned in the previous post were painted on wednesday, Thursday I continued sanding the engine bay, the half that was de rusted and sanded with 80 grit, sanded it all over again with 80 cause some small surface rust was forming again, then I continued sanding upto 320 grit, then proceeded to put some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 on the exposed metal and the very slight pitting remaining!
And called it a day on thursday and went home.
On friday I took the day off so started cleaning and stripping the rest of the bay. By saturday it was ready sanded and given two coats of hydrate 80.
However have found some small rust patch on the bulkhead and 2 small cracks in the subframe so will have to take it back to the welder today Sad
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some photos I have taken although not up to date to where I am now.

The engine after removal

Rusted subframe

After first try at stripping some paint

The radiator side and half of the bulkhead ready sanded down after surface rust removal and after applying a coat of Bilt Hamber's Hydrate 80

The subframe repaired

The poor mini waiting to go out for a spin again after the structural and cosmetic surgery has ended.

bob2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday I got the mini back and after some slight sanding with 320 paper I cleaned the area, masked the lot and gave 2 coats of etch primer, brush painted to avoid putting it on the areas which were not bare metalled.
In this heat it dried really quickly so I could then give a coat of high build primer. Then it was time up, today I'll be giving another coat of high build so that tomorrow I can sand it down with 320/400 and start putting on the colour!!
JC T ONE

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never seen a subframe rusted like that Shocked

So cool with original iron brake pipes, instead of the terrible copper ones Rolling Eyes

Keep up the nice work Smile
bob2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well neither I but I suppose it must have had a leaking radiator in the past.
The brake pipes together with both master cylinders have been sanded down and polished since those photos too.
Here is the latest photo as I left it yesterday, the subframe received some high build primer too which I had left over after doing the first coat on the engine bay and yesterday after some light sanding it received a quick light coat of black enamel brush painted on for the time being.

bob2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday after what seemed an enormous amount of sanding the high build primer, I have given the first coat, unfortunately the colour match is not brilliant so it will show where it has been patched on the body, but the body will just be a temporary measure, I'll get the car fully resprayed at a later date and will order the same paint so the whole car will be one colour and match the engine bay as well!

Now just 4/5 more coats to go.
bob2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today work will restart on the mini, after almost 10 days of holidays in Gozo!!
Not looking that forward as I really liked swimming, relaxing on the beach and eating out!!
Well all things come to an end!!
Hopefully this week I'll get nearer to the end on this mini for the time being and have it back on the road the next!!
Today the plan is, another coat to the bay and some sanding on the engine to prepare it for paint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 9 of 15

Jump to: