classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1934 Austin 10 2-seater
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
pigtin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it half dozen times to mine in the last 25 years. Disconnect the propshaft.
Take the weight if the engine with a hoist, remove the front bolt securing the engine, remove the two bolts securing the flywheel cover casting to the chassis, disconnect wires and pipes, lower engine/gb to ground then lift the front high enough to take the engine c/w gearbox out from under the radiator.
I had to free pistons on mine originally so I removed the crankshaft and freed them with a mandril press. The engine is a joy to work on and pretty bombproof when put together correctly.
Doz

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, having finally got a clear day to work on the Austin I managed to remove the engine this weekend. I can confirm that it is possible (although not especially easy!) to get it out from the top once the radiator etc is out of the way. Unfortunately the surroundings just do not permit raising the car enough to take it out the 'proper' way (from underneath). A chain hoist slung from a strong roof timber provided the lift, and a large crowbar allowed me to 'steer' the engine and gearbox enough to withdraw it. Getting the front high enough whilst not catching the rear of the block on the body was a fiddle and I got jammed several times, but the most important issue was to drop the rear of the unit so the engine mounting lugs on the flywheel cover came out of the bottom of their mountings. Then by tilting the engine sideways towards the offside it was then possible to get the nearside mounting lug above the chassis rail, then move forwards and upwards.
A couple of lessons for anyone else out there as dopey as I am - (1) drain the oil first - (what a plonker!) (2) check that you have remembered to disconnect the speedo drive BEFORE you have the engine half out and balanced on the front chassis rail especially if, like me, you're doing the job on your own! Once I'd grown an extra arm or two and got the drive disconnected it was a relatively simple matter of wrestling the engine and box down a sloping scaffold board to the floor.
Now some real work can begin...
pigtin

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I forgot the speedo cable every time I did it... Rolling Eyes
Doz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably time I updated this, although not a great deal has really happened. The car itself is currently mothballed due to ongoing problems with, and work on, the barn roof. However, I moved the seized engine to my own workshop and dismantled it. The reasons for the seizure have become apparent - not only were all four pistons well gummed into their bores with lord-alone-knows what as expected, one was damaged and two had several broken rings. Some big sections of ring were completely missing, so I can only presume it was put together like it at some point in the past! Cam, main, and big-end bearings were all well stuck, and the whitemetal on the big ends had disintegrated. I think the cam and main bearings will probably clean up OK and actually seem quite tight but the big ends have some surface corrosion and look as though they may need to be ground. The rods will most certainly need to be remetalled. Anyone know a good spot for busking? I think I may need the money...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: