classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

fuel catalyst
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFter years of messing about with engines of all types and sizes the only additive I've found that works is two stroke oil added to diesel. It quietens and smooths the engine and gives slightly better economy. I guess it works because the new fuel is less 'oily' than the old and at the risk of gassing polar bears and being personally responsible for glaciers vanishing I have used it for the past five years.
colwyn500

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:
AFter years of messing about with engines of all types and sizes the only additive I've found that works is two stroke oil added to diesel. It quietens and smooths the engine and gives slightly better economy. I guess it works because the new fuel is less 'oily' than the old and at the risk of gassing polar bears and being personally responsible for glaciers vanishing I have used it for the past five years.

In fact, you're probably responsible for glaciers re-forming over North America and polar bears allegedly suffering with the cold. Wink
PS. Just heard that Hell has frozen over (the town in USA).
I never stress on the many occasions when I have had to resort to my chainsaw two-stroke fuel can to power my old Austin (faulty fuel gauge). Modern two stroke seems hardly to smoke at all and in my "un-scientific" mind I just think of it as Redex. In principle I agree with most of the posts here in that bits of lead dropped randomly into a fuel tank without calibration and for unspecified and varied periods of use is probably pointless and just as "un-scientific."
emmerson

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baconsdozen wrote:

Sorry BD, I can't let you claim the privilege of gassing polar bears.
According to my neighbour, I am personally responsible for all the ills in this world because I drive a V8 Range Rover. The fact that it runs on emission-free LPG does not impress her at all.
She does admit that it is handy in the snow, when she needs shopping done.
Now, how do I put snake-oil in my LPG tank?????? Laughing
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emmerson wrote:
baconsdozen wrote:

Sorry BD, I can't let you claim the privilege of gassing polar bears.
According to my neighbour, I am personally responsible for all the ills in this world because I drive a V8 Range Rover. The fact that it runs on emission-free LPG does not impress her at all.
She does admit that it is handy in the snow, when she needs shopping done.
Now, how do I put snake-oil in my LPG tank?????? Laughing

I never saw one, but a few years ago when LPG was being touted as the next big thing, there was a widget around for supplying an engine running on LPG with small amounts of one or another of the "lead replacement" petrol additives. If you could track one down it would probably work just as well with snake oil Laughing
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of LPG systems have a reservoir and valve that will bleed small quantities of upper cylinder lubricant (flash lube) to prevent valve recession. Your local fitter can probably modify the system if you have an engine that does not have sufficiently hardened valve seats.

As for fuel catalysts and other wonder patent devices, my advice would be to spend your money on a proper tune up instead.
Boring Tucson SUV
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I covered 150,000 miles on lpg, no additives and the engine still ran sweet when I sold the car.....did get through a couple of coil packs and ignition lead sets, plugs needed changing every 10,000 miles...shame there is no snake oil spray, I'm convinced if there was it would have doubled the life of the HT components Wink

Dave
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I had two Subaru Legacies, one after the other that I ran almost exclusively on LPG. No flash lube, because the system that Subaru used was a high pressure system that delivered the LPG as a liquid rather than as an atomised gas, which theoretically kept the valve seats cool. It was, however, part of the 12k service to check the valve clearances, which would otherwise not have been required on a petrol only model.
Don't think that Subaru do LPG conversions any more, it was a stopgap measure whilst they sorted out a diesael option, petrol Scoobies being such thirsty beasts.

Valve recession can be a problem on some cars, however, particularly older models, and the flash lube apparently helps. Theoretically your engine should wear less in terms of bore wear, since there isn't any liquid petrol to wash lubricant off, apart from when the engine starts from cold. Whether this works in practise, I am not sure, however.
Boring Tucson SUV
ka

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I think we have decided that red-ex is the future, and that we are all responsible for the polar ice, I have decided to make two enquiries.

1). I intend to buy shares in Red-Ex
2). I am writing to the Governments of the world requesting my share-pack in the Antarctic, to ensure that when the drilling starts, and they find oil in the ice, I own a part share of it.

Now where were those air borne pigs, we need bacon........

Better three than four.
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
...shame there is no snake oil spray

Never heard of WD-40? Wink
ka

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Moisture Dispersants Reply with quote

There is no doubt that the first choice for many when looking at a damp ignition system, or seized nuts is to give a liberal spraying of the well known compound.
I have found it a good moisture disperser, but prefer a more purpose made de-seizing compound.
I know that many people use the same product to give weather protection on exposed parts.
In our club, we have a member who is also a development scientist for a major lubricant company, who wrote a very interesting article on dispersant sprays, and that some of them, whilst giving excellent moisture reduction properties, are corrosive when used on exposed alloys and metals.
My point is, select the correct potion for the ailment.

Better three than four.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent as WD40 is, it can not, unfortunately restore insulation that is beginning to break down on HT components !! Smile

Dave
ajlelectronics

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Excellent as WD40 is, it can not, unfortunately restore insulation that is beginning to break down on HT components !! Smile

Dave

The only thing it is excellent at is convincing people that it is anything but the 40th attempt to create a water dispersant.
robo0121

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: fuel catalyst Reply with quote

thats a no then.???
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: fuel catalyst Reply with quote

robo0121 wrote:
thats a no then.???

Seems that way
Rosco663

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all know that WD-40 is a good all rounder in the workshop but isn't a strike bowler or opening batsman.

Back to the topic of fuel catalysts, has anyone heard of the Energy Polariser - pushed heavily in the 1980's more famously by one Mr Peter Brock of racing fame. It would put any Snake Oil to the test Cool

Here is a brief summary of how it works:

"An Energy Polarizer transmits a high energy mainly generated by the vehicle to which it is attached.

This high energy field - A.B.A. Energy - causes all molecules in it's sphere of influence to be aligned or polarized to the direction of the high energy transmission, and are held in a linked or aligned state.

These molecules are subject to a vibratory rate dictated by the Polarizer.

The printed circuitry in a Polarizer causes a multiplicity of frequencies to be transmitted, affecting each molecule and allowing that molecules and it's environment to absorb specific vibration levels including noises, vibrations resonance and impact harshness which are always present in any vehicle and also to dampen out the effects of imperfect manufacture of vehicle components.

The overall effect on a motor car is to absorb road shocks more completely and quietly, to reduce overall vehicle noises - both inside and outside - to achieve greater efficiency of the power train and steering systems, improving the engine and suspension performance and to create a more pleasant environment for the driver and passenger.

Certain frequencies have not been "tuned out" as they are necessary for increased road safety.

The energy transmitted from the "Energy Polarizer" always flows to that area most effected. That means a major problem area still remains a problem, and the energy is effectively wasted on that area since the overall vehicle is deprived and consequently is less enhanced. So a correctly manufactured and maintained vehicle will always be superior to one that is not, but all vehicles benefit from the fitment of an Energy Polarizer.

It should be noted a vehicle which normal requires high octane leaded fuel is then able to operate on low octane (92) unleaded fuel, without any ill effects whatsoever, when an Energy Polarizer is fitted.
"

from http://performanceforums.com/forums/showthread.php?67151695-Peter-Brock-s-Energy-Polariser
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: