classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Dartford crossing changes
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Riley Blue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the speed limit... Wink

1963 Riley 1.5
1965 Riley 1.5
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old Wrench wrote:
Few classic cars are unable to speed: even an Austin Seven!

All depends on the road and how long it is!

What d you mean, even an Austin Seven? I got my first speeding ticket in my Austin Seven van: 57mph in a 30 limit! this was back in 1969, I've become (a little bit) more circumspect since Wink
lowdrag

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea about the new system, living in France, and gaily arrived on the 26th to visit my daughter. I returned over the bridge a day later and to date have not been clapped in irons awaiting transportation. I guess that is down to foreign plates, and I wonder if there will, in consequence, be quite a loss of revenue.
Old Wrench

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeC wrote:
Old Wrench wrote:
Few classic cars are unable to speed: even an Austin Seven!

All depends on the road and how long it is!

What d you mean, even an Austin Seven? I got my first speeding ticket in my Austin Seven van: 57mph in a 30 limit! this was back in 1969, I've become (a little bit) more circumspect since Wink

Forgive me, Mike.

Many people have this sort of quaint misconception about older cars.

The venerable Sevens, whilst not quick out of the blocks, could, obviously, if in good fettle, happily exceed speed limits.

As could most motor cars made from the early 1900s onwards.
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
I had no idea about the new system, living in France, and gaily arrived on the 26th to visit my daughter. I returned over the bridge a day later and to date have not been clapped in irons awaiting transportation. I guess that is down to foreign plates, and I wonder if there will, in consequence, be quite a loss of revenue.

THe official website says : Evasion is likely to involve both UK-registered and non-UK-registered vehicles. The automatic number plate recognition system recognises non-UK vehicles and a European debt recovery agency will support the recovery of outstanding charges. This approach has proven successful with similar schemes such as the central London Congestion Charging scheme.

The Kent police told me that foreign registered vehicles not paying the charges on line, will be put on a register at the channel ports and stopped on returning to the UK.

All seems a bit excessive for £70.
Richard H

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a footnote to this. I went NB in the Somerset on Thursday and have actually been charged Sad So I would guess the problem of the cameras not reading the old plates has been identified by them.
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
lowdrag wrote:

THe official website says : Evasion is likely to involve both UK-registered and non-UK-registered vehicles. The automatic number plate recognition system recognises non-UK vehicles and a European debt recovery agency will support the recovery of outstanding charges. This approach has proven successful with similar schemes such as the central London Congestion Charging scheme.

The Kent police told me that foreign registered vehicles not paying the charges on line, will be put on a register at the channel ports and stopped on returning to the UK.

All seems a bit excessive for £70.

Not living near the crossing (and not having used it for nearly 20 years!) this is all news to me. But is that a 70 pounds crossing fee? Surely not.... is it? I know the UK is expensive to those of us who spend time away but that would be ridiculous.
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not living near the crossing (and not having used it for nearly 20 years!) this is all news to me. But is that a 70 pounds crossing fee? Surely not.... is it? I know the UK is expensive to those of us who spend time away but that would be ridiculous.

Dipster - the fee is now £2.50 or £1.67 if you pre-pay on an account. But if you don't pay up within 48 hours the fine is £70.

Last edited by Brian M on Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks for that. I was beginning to think I could never afford to return home.....
ka

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow the links from the DART page and pre-register, it makes the crossing less expensive than it was.

Better three than four.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: