classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Invacars
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
JohnDale

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dobbin wrote:
I hadn't seen one of these for years and then came across one at the Glasgow Transport Museum a couple of years ago.

I also remember seeing them whilst watching Grandstand on a Saturday afternoon in the 70's as a boy when there would be around the ends of the football pitches. There was a sea of pale blue 'funny wee cars' not realising they were cars for the disabled. How things have changed.

Hey Stuart,we must find more for you to do!!! You can't have enough if you've time to be ' living in the past ' on here,hi hi,cheers,JD.
Ashley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly, I think Bert Greaves was handicapped and drove one himself. I'm sure I saw, might even have met him at a scramble in the sixties
Jeeves

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will you will find that it was Bert Greeves cousin Derry Preston Cobb who was disabled and drove one. In fact Bert Greeves made the original for his cousin's use.
Ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeves wrote:
I think you will you will find that it was Bert Greeves cousin Derry Preston Cobb who was disabled and drove one. In fact Bert Greeves made the original for his cousin's use.

Okay thanks. That makes sense.
Bill Fillip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. There are earlier versions of 3-wheeled invalid cars, dating from the 1920s through 1940s. A quick look through the 3-wheeler section of Motor Specifications and Prices reveals them.
Penman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Here is the story of one of them and the people who made them.
http://www.guildford-dragon.com/2016/04/03/vintage-electric-car-made-shalford-nelco-new-owner/

http://www.guildford-dragon.com/2013/07/03/piecing-together-the-story-of-shalford-engineering-firm-nelco/

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Bill Fillip

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
Here is the story of one of them and the people who made them.
http://www.guildford-dragon.com/2016/04/03/vintage-electric-car-made-shalford-nelco-new-owner/

http://www.guildford-dragon.com/2013/07/03/piecing-together-the-story-of-shalford-engineering-firm-nelco/

Thanks, those are very interesting articles. The registration number EJ 6342 definitely dates to 1939, so the author's speculation as to year of the surviving example is correct.

I couldn't find anything on Nelco in any of my books except two: Chris Rees's "Three-Wheelers A-Z" and Elvis Payne's "A-Z of Three-Wheelers". According to these authors, the electric three-wheeler was originally called the Auto-Electric Carriage in 1929, and was only rebranded to Nelco in 1947. I looked up Auto-Electric in Motor Specifications and Prices, 1948 edition, and found the full range from 1929 through 1940. It's curious that the postwar-rebranded model is not listed, even in the 1955 edition.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 1960 I was out on my bike and an elderly lady came carreering down the hill clearly out of control. She went through the hedge and finished in a vegetable patch, much to the annoyance of the house owner. She was unhurt but terribly confused I remember. Horrible noisy smelly things but in those days beggars couldn't be choosers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: