classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Farecla G3
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results speak for themselves sure enough.
How do you go about doing any ribbed parts or edges with that procedure then? I take it to be quite laborious by hand?
47p2

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribbed parts or edges have to be done by hand I'm afraid, otherwise the paint would be rubbed off.

As for the stance for the picture, it all comes down to digital photography and having to look into a screen instead of an eyepiece. Embarassed
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An' there's me thinking you had Horses! Laughing
bob2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a lot the farecla G3, never tried the G10 or the others 47p2 mentioned but they r worth a try surely.
I do use the G3 by hand and it still gives great results. I have done the hunter like that using water sprayed on from a bottle as lubricant and G3 with a polishing cloth by hand and then gave it another one with autoglym (similar in grade to the G10) and it came ou very good, well here's a photo

Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very smart - is that the proper Rover Dark Blue colour on the P2 or a later modern shade mix?

Was the finish that shiny when new? It would have nice to compare. Just the hand painted coach line to do now?

I too have used Farecla products its one of the oldest proprietary products first made to replace hand mixed concoctions used by the old coach builders
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint colour is Admiralty Blue, I would think from the 1960s P5B range of cars.

What has to be remembered is it has had 20 years of sunshine over in Australia and 5 years of rain in the UK so will have weathered quite a lot.

It is difficult to imagine cars having a glossy paint job back in the 40s. Certainly very few pictures from that era show a shiney car, but pictures were not of great quality and in B&W or even sepia so this may be confusing us
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I will not have that colour on my P2 as our P5B is finished in it - yes you are correct it was a standard P5 Mk111 and then P5B colour from 1966/7 season till the end of production in 1973. No two modern mixes are the same colour though!
Land Rover S2 & S3
47p2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, The pictures of my P2 do not show the colour properly. It does not look like any Admiralty Blue P5s I have seen. Also depending on the way the light hits it and the angle you are standing at it sometimes looks black.
Maybe it was painted with that new multi colour paint that seems to change colour Shocked
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admilralty Blue is very dark and does seem to change its colour with different lighting etc Shocked

Old fashioned cellulose used up to the late 1950's did not weather very well at all so most cars unless religously waxed and garaged did look dull mots of the time. Colour ranges were hardly exciting anyway

The shine on the best finishes then was nothing like modern two packs etc anyway
Land Rover S2 & S3
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil - Nottingham wrote:
The shine on the best finishes then was nothing like modern two packs etc anyway

Don't you find that 2-pack looks 'wrong' on a classic? I've had one old car that was painted in 2-pack and on the plus side it always looked shiny... but perhaps too shiny!
Close up the paint was a bit 'plasticky'. I can't see there ever being a patina of age developing with 2-pack, just chips, so they tend to make an old car look like the vehicle equivalent of Joan Rivers.
47p2

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
Close up the paint was a bit 'plasticky'. I can't see there ever being a patina of age developing with 2-pack, just chips, so they tend to make an old car look like the vehicle equivalent of Joan Rivers.

O-N, You're spot on with this one. All too often you see older cars painted with the wrong paint and looking like they would melt in the sunshine.

If it originally was painted with cellulose then repaint it with cellulose
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree my current P5B is coated with a really thick 2 pack and its durable but looks like a PVC coating its so shiny
Land Rover S2 & S3
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding 2K paint, if you know how, its possible to get any finish wanted, from glass to matt. Take a look at the photo of the 59 Impala I posted a while ago, (or I can post it again if asked). Most people comment how perfect the paint looks on that, not too shiny, not to dull.
Thats UJ applied 2K...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: