classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Welding Continued!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have oxy acetylene and a mig welder, if using the mig just use standard CO2 and adjust until I get a good weld, can't be doing with all these other gas's knonsense! Wink I do tho braze quite alot for non structural stuff, brazing seems to be often missed as a way of jointing steel ?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK, I'm glad you brought that up. Only today I was thinking that when I used to live in the UK, there were a lot of MoT places that would only pass a rust repair if it was brazed. In my opinion, it does have some advantages.

Thing is though, MIG has become so popular nowadays, that a lot of people either cant, or dont know how to weld using all of the four basic methods.

Still prefer C25 though for cars, whatever that is called in England...not labouring the point though! Very Happy
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I could never do gas welding of any kind, but I think it was down tot he wording my teacher used, I would love to have another go, will have to get some bottles. I do have shakey hands too, which doesn't tend to help matters!

I havent done any burning for a few years now, and was faced with burning some mud holes in a barrel yesterday, no practise, just delve in of 3 or 4 grands worth of plate, and it has to be accurate!

Any way got out of that yesterday, so will have to go somewhere and have a practise, so I can do a bit with a little confidence.

Cheers

Dave
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncle Joe wrote:
UK, I'm glad you brought that up. Only today I was thinking that when I used to live in the UK, there were a lot of MoT places that would only pass a rust repair if it was brazed. Very Happy

These days MOT stations won't pass any repair if brazed. I have brazed lap joints on body panels, couple of advantages; 1) you need alot less heat, so less panel distortion 2) The braze gets right into the joint so provides better rust protection.

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How times have changed...

Dont forget that a properly brazed joint is not as brittle as a MIG/MAG weld either, which can be advantageous in certain circumstances.
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't like to use any of those MOT stations... how do they know it's brazed, do they scrape the paint off?

Don.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin, remember that the last time I took a car for an Mot in England was in the early seventies.....times have changed a wee bit! Just comparing Mot testing methods, here, they hit the underside with a hammer to check for rust, and I have seen them scraping away underseal with a knife...

UK: I asked if t was possible to buy a bottle of CO2 this morning. Apparently I cant here anymore, pollution you know....

You lot are so lucky to live in England! Think I'll move back....
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ wrote: You lot are so lucky to live in England! Think I'll move back....

Wouldn't if I were you, corruption in the political classes, the media, etc' means that anything might happen here at any time:"Democracy?" A thing of the past in the UK.
Of course, that's only my opinion some may know differently. We must thank our lucky stars that a few MPs are car enthusiasts, and that so many jobs rely on our hobby, otherwise there would not be much future for it. Crying or Very sad

Sorry about the rant... Don Embarassed
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin: You dont have to pay £5 or thereabouts for a pint, and cant even get bitter....

Sorry to have gone off topic guys!
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
I have oxy acetylene and a mig welder, if using the mig just use standard CO2 and adjust until I get a good weld, can't be doing with all these other gas's knonsense! Wink I do tho braze quite alot for non structural stuff, brazing seems to be often missed as a way of jointing steel ?

Hi

Does your Co2 ever freeze, or is it a co2 mix?

Cheers

Dave
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't want to add to your misery UJ: But I can go down to the pub, drink a pint of bitter, buy one for the landlord and he'll exchange my CO2 bottle.

But I may be mugged on the way home... Wink

Don.
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigtin: People get mugged here as well, and quite often stabbed, shot...

Buzzy: I dont know if the fact that CO2 is not available here is just a local thing, but as we are all EU, it wouldnt surprise me if it would be a europeanwide ban soon. It will be interesting to hear UK's answer though.
pigtin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prob'ly wouldn't make any difference to me, my welding's crap anyway...
Will have to come north of Watford one day and see if I can con Buzzy into giving me some lessons.

Sorry to hear about the stabbings and shootings UJ, I thought all they did in your part of the world was sit-about telling Reindeer jokes... But there are the beautiful Nordic women; at my age I'm not sure what one is supposed to do with them. Confused

Don. (A lifelong ABBA fan.)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I will have to get used to my new weder first myself. But then I will give you some pointers on mig! hehe

Cheers

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buzzy: Does that mean that I have to give you some tips first? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: