classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Hammerite (split from the 6v/12v thread)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Greeney in France

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used it for years on the cars and although not been displeased with its performance I have never been over impressed either
I do like the POR15 product though.
I have never notused a primer though, I don't believe for one minute that any paint is truly "one coat"
Parts on my S'Type were done in the early 90s and are still OK now but it leads a cosseted life
I used it more recently on the 2CV underbody after etch priming, undersealing with paintable underseal, mainly because it make the under car wash and wipeable and easy to keep clean

We do these things not to escape life but to prevent life escaping us
bob2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used hammerite (hammered finish) on my green mini's subframes and hubs about 8/9 years ago and they are still perfect although the subframes didnt have a single spot of rust, however that too leads a cossetted life. I only use it on such small parts which are not that visible, at the moment am using some on the hunter doing parts like leave springs, diff etc!!
Will see how things go when some time has passed since I m not planning on using the hunter everyday it will be quite cossetted but my intentions are of using it quite often, that is if doent get sold!!

however for future projects (if I do any since I m getting a bit fed up), I would use 2 pack paints and primers on anything!!
After using it on the hunter its quite easy to mix and you can obtain a good finish even if applying it by brush, though by roller is much beter but you can sand it down with wet and dry and then polish it up and it really shines and as UJ always suggested its quite easy to have the finish you'd most like, I chose a not too shiny finish for the interior of the hunter, when I take a couple of pics I'll post them here!
Dirty Habit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best paint I have ever used for bare metal was from a company called Corroless. www.corroless.com The only problem I had was getting hold of it. They were less than helpful when I tried to get a list of stockist. Don't think they are interested in the DIY market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: