classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Tips for rust removal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

That is their website, it's just not one where you can buy online from,
so it's probably a case of making a trip to Liphook. They can be
contacted on 01428 751122.....

I have never dealt with them so this is just what I have found on the net.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another possibility if you want phosphoric acid is milkstone remover - available from farm suppliers for maintaining milking machines. Used neat it's just about right for our purposes.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a reference to that here. I'll see what I can find. Thanks
colwyn500

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy off Ebay. Worst thing is the postage. 1 or 5 litre at about 42%. It's used for hydroponics and for getting the Ph right in swimming pools. You hardly ever see rust removal on cars mentioned.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colwyn500 wrote:
Easy off Ebay. Worst thing is the postage. 1 or 5 litre at about 42%. It's used for hydroponics and for getting the Ph right in swimming pools. You hardly ever see rust removal on cars mentioned.

That's the nice thing about getting it from a farm suppliers - unless you're stuck in the middle of London, Birmingham, Manchester or the like, chances are there's one not too far away - call in on your way past and save ££'s on carriage.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitumen Boy wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

That's the nice thing about getting it from a farm suppliers - unless you're stuck in the middle of London, Birmingham, Manchester or the like, chances are there's one not too far away - call in on your way past and save ££'s on carriage.

Thanks for the tip Bitumen Boy, I just called in at a local farm supplier and 5L is less than £10 inc vat Smile Smile

Cheers

Dave
colwyn500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all right for you jammy so and so,s you win both ways. Laughing
There isn't a lot of dairy farming round here so the Farm places don't stock it and being, effectively on the other side of the world as far as most carriers are concerned, delivery is astronomical.
Rolling Eyes
petermeachem

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like merlinchemicals sell wholesale, they supply labels so you can brand it yourself.
I spent quite some time on the phone today trying to find a local supplier, farm suppliers websites are not the best. Delivery makes it all a bit hopeless, it doubles the price, apparently it is classed as hazardous.
The only really local company that did it was Goodrowes in Chichester, but they wanted £19.
Scats http://www.scatscountrystores.co.uk/companies/3/98/Billingshurst rang their suppliers, Mole Valley and are going to stock it for £11.40 for 5l. Supply arriving Thursday. Including petrol I still beat Goodrowes.
D4B

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
Scats http://www.scatscountrystores.co.uk/companies/3/98/Billingshurst rang their suppliers, Mole Valley and are going to stock it for £11.40 for 5l. Supply arriving Thursday. Including petrol I still beat Goodrowes.

Hi Peter,

just what I need too (message sent)

thanks Steve
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Bitumen Boy wrote:
colwyn500 wrote:

Thanks for the tip Bitumen Boy, I just called in at a local farm supplier and 5L is less than £10 inc vat Smile Smile

Cheers

Dave

That's ridiculously cheap - I paid more than that in Abergavenny 5 or 6 years ago! I thought Cheshire was meant to be expensive these days?
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collected my milkstone remover today and it works!

before, a bit of the luggage rack

after

I wiped it on neat with a jcloth, left it for 5 mins wiped it off and ran a wire brush over it. It's not easy to see in the picture but the the little pits that are left are black so presumably phosphate and so ok.

The container has all sorts of dire warnings which I ignored. May just be me, but it didn't attack my skin at all (unlike sugar soap which removed the entire top layer from my right hand, I looked like a hand model for a zombie film). Mind you I didn't spray it on from a spray bottle and didn't use a wire brush on a drill until I had wiped it off. And I was wearing glasses.

My problem is protecting the bit I've done from rust. This is going to take some time, I shall do a bit at a time. The only practical solution I can think of is to spray each section with a spray can primer as I derust it.
And then paint the whole thing asap.
Would that be ok? I don't mean the perfect solution, I mean ok.
D4B

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes that's what I would do Peter, and I think that others will recommend that the primer should be an
epoxy primer so that is doesn't absorb moisture like standard primers do if left without a topcoat.....

Cool
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The epoxy primers are all 2 part ones aren't they? I am really only going to do a small area at a time. I'd be throwing away a lot of unused primer.
You can get spray cans but they go off after 4 days.
Can't really remember as it was so long ago, but I think I rubbed down the areas where rust had come through and sprayed some primer over the top. Now rust has come through but I didn't treat the rust in any way and it was 25 years ago. I can't believe this is so hard, there must be an easier and acceptable way
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petermeachem wrote:
The epoxy primers are all 2 part ones aren't they? I am really only going to do a small area at a time. I'd be throwing away a lot of unused primer.

You only have to mix what you need, so there shouldn't be much waste, the hardener will go off after a few months, but can be bought separately.

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-stripping.htm

Look at the 3rd picture down

You can buy it here http://www.oneillvintageford.co.uk/acatalog/Gibbs_Brand_Lubricant.html I imagine it goes a long way.

And you can paint over it. It does seem to be a wonder product but the mig-welding chaps seem pretty switched on. Does anyone have any experience?

I've just twigged that is O'neill and not One Ill Vintage Ford which is what I read
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: