classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

A bit of lateral thinking never did any harm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
oldtimer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: A bit of lateral thinking never did any harm Reply with quote

I confess to being a long term admirer of those blessed with the ability to evaluate problems and come up with solutions by refusing to accept that they are insurmountable or must be inordinately expensive to resolve.
I have a pal thus gifted.I wanted to install a hoist for beer crates where the stairs were unsuitable,even dangerous.Space was at a premium but just possible.We used Dexion to form the vertical guides and for the carrier too,with a timber base.I visualised a "dumb waiter"arrangement,using a rope pulleyto haul the thing up by brute force.He had weighed the loaded crate and carrier,cast a counterweight in lead to offset this and then hunted out an old 1/4 horse motor among junk in my store and installed it above the upper area.This would propel the carrier up when suitably wired but we needed the motor to stop at the top.Another visit to my junk produced a couple of old bell pushes and a bit of spring steel.The steel was attached to the edge of the carrier and the bell push strategically placed,met it at the top as a limit switch.
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar travel problem on an existing 12volt wheelchair platform lift on a canal trip boat.
The "pull on" cutout switch used was a motorcycle brake lamp switch connected via a proprietory kitchen drawer slide and spring which was connected to a 5 pin relay so that the sliding part of the drawer mechanism pulled the spring and stopped the lift at 3 inches before the bottom of travel to prevent any chance of "toe trapping" as the platform settled into its full flush with the floor position. An overide button lowered it the last three inches.
All because of the D***** H&S fellow. Though it would have taken a contortionist to manage to get his/her feet under it.
oldtimer

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 2:27 am    Post subject: A bit of lateral thinking Reply with quote

Hello Jim,
Once again proving what I have long suspected from your posts,that you are not the chap to accept that something can't be done or has to cost an arm and a leg or a trapped toe!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: