classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ebay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:53 pm    Post subject: Ebay Reply with quote

Hi

Having just sold a bicycle on ebay, I sent an invoice over to the buyer with instructions to message me when he wanted to collect, the reply I got started to lay down the law to me, saying he has to collect it within the week.

Fair enough, he had asked me to ring him, upon ringing his number it just rings, no one answers. I send a message saying this, and that could he ring me on my home number, the reply said it is my phone that is broken as he can't get through on that number.

I replied by message saying we will have to sort out collection by message then, as I orriginally inteneded before he started larking about with telephone numbers, to which he responded, he no longer wants the item, due to my poor corespondence, and he won't be collecting/paying for it. I have offered it as a second chance offer, and told him this, but also said if it doesn't sell he will have to pay me the fees as I will be out of pocket for his doing.

It is not my fault he is not collecting, he should not have bidded if he was not intending to collect.

I will see what happens witht he second chance offer now, but if that doesn't come off, is there anywhere I can report this buyer to ebay?

It all sounded iffy from the start, and he should not be doing it.

He will probably leave negative feedback on me now and being the seller I am unable to do that to him either.

What do I do?

Cheers

Dave
victor 101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave, sorry you have had trouble on ebay, there are lots of idiots and scammers on there, but to answer your question. if you click the 'help' link at the top right of the ebay home page it lists what to do if you haven't been paid for an item. start there and see what happens. Good luck.
Rod.
Nic Jarman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this for you Dave;

Getting an eBay Seller's Phone Number
If you don't hear from the seller of your eBay item after three business days and you've already tried sending an e-mail, you need to get more contact information. Remember back when you registered and eBay asked for a phone number? eBay keeps this information for times like this.

To get an eBay member's phone number, go back to Find Contact Information on the Advanced Search: Members: Find Contact Information link. Fill out the Contact Info form by entering the seller's user ID and the number of the item that you're buying, and then click the Search button. If all the information is correct, you automatically see a request-confirmation page and eBay generates an e-mail message to both you and the other user.

eBay's e-mail message includes the seller's user ID, name, company, city, state, and country of residence, as well as the seller's phone number and date of initial registration. eBay sends this same information about you to the user you want to get in touch with. Most sellers jump to attention when they receive this e-mail from eBay and get the ball rolling to complete the transaction.

Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/getting-an-ebay-sellers-phone-number.html#ixzz1UBVSWcd7

EDIT: It works both ways.
Dax Rush

Last edited by Nic Jarman on Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Penman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Nic Jarman wrote:
Found this for you Dave;

etc,,,,,,,,
Getting an eBay Seller's Phone Number
Read more: http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/getting-an-ebay-sellers-phone-number.html#ixzz1UBVSWcd7

Yes but dave is the seller.

Does the same apply to getting an errant buyers details??????

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If push comes to shove there is a slightly drawn-out process for reporting a non-paying bidder, which you should find in the Help section. If you follow the "rules" of the process you can, I think, re-claim some or all of the selling fees. It's a while since I had to go down this path though, so it may have changed in the meantime. Make sure all correspondence is via the ebay messaging system, rather that 1:1 via normal email.

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick wrote:
If push comes to shove there is a slightly drawn-out process for reporting a non-paying bidder, which you should find in the Help section. If you follow the "rules" of the process you can, I think, re-claim some or all of the selling fees. It's a while since I had to go down this path though, so it may have changed in the meantime. Make sure all correspondence is via the ebay messaging system, rather that 1:1 via normal email.

RJ

Yep you will get all the fees back if you report him as a non paying bidder, and if he is reported 3 times his eBay account will be suspended. I think its in a section called "dispute resolution"

Dave
Jim.Walker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the same, but I too clearly stipulated one week collection (for a £700ish) Benelli Scooter. The winning bidder then claimed he was going to Cypress for a month and it would have to wait until he returned.
I initiated the Second Chance option and he initiated a "Dispute".
Within 24 hours the "Dispute" was settled in my favour with no further action needed from me.
Jim.
PAUL BEAUMONT

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suddenly it seems that the morons have invaded Ebay! I am doing some work on my garage and needed a DG window. One was advertised comparatively locally (pick up only ) with a starting bid of 99p. I put in a bid of £5.00 and somewhat to my surprise won it at 99p. I sent the vendor a message via Ebay asking when it was convenient to collect and received no answer. He listed a mobile phone number and after about 10 attempts he answered to say that he refused to accept the 99p winning bid and had sold it outside of Ebay for £25.00 or some such.
I was going to leave negative feedback, but could not be bothered to waste any more time on him. I did check his feedback profile though and If you are still with me here is the interesting bit: He had a 100% feedback on about 80 transactions, but when I scanned these more than half were from "no longer a registered user"
Paul
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I always put cash on collection, yet so many people never read the item discription, and pay paypal, and ask me to post it, they don't even give me any postage money, yet still expect it to land at their door!

I dislike paypal due to the fees, hence the cash on collection, but so many people are totally oblivious!

Cheers

Dave
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Registering a "dispute" is a good idea as it also puts a freeze on the recipients PayPal account - of course if they have none this will not help.

The block is lifted once dispute is settled which often is remarkably fast Wink
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bike went tonight on the second chance thing, so the orriginal man was the one who lost out, muppet!
richbrick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buzzy bee wrote:
Well the bike went tonight on the second chance thing, so the orriginal man was the one who lost out, muppet!

Very true, though why bother bidding in the first place. Seriously annoying when that happens. Glad you were able to make a sale though!
gresham flyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sold large items that need collecting and the purchasers have paid cash on collection or small items I will post and get them to pay by paypal.At least both ways you have the money before the goods are handed over.
I sold about 150 seperate keyfobs on ebay and was down the post office daily,no problem..they paid by paypal,i put the item in a jiffy bag and sent it registered post,total cost each time £2.00,they paid the postage.
Out of the 150 keyfobs only one chap complained,he returned the keyfob and I credited his money back to paypal.
I have a chap coming on friday morning for a bicycle,he paid for it within 1 minute of the bidding ending by paypal..sorted.
I agree though there are idiots out there,but do not let it put you off.I purchase lots of classic car spares off ebay and with the postage is still cheaper than running around the country collecting items like in the distance past.
I use APC couriers to collect items for me if the seller does not want to post a large item,a classic car seat I purchased was collected 100 miles away and cost me £18.00 not worth getting the van out myself and collecting it.

Gresham
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ebay has now been set up to be benifiting the buyers more than the sellers, in my oppinion anyway.
alan 869

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don´t know about that. I´ve never sold things but have 649 feedback and 100%

ebay/paypal are only in it to make cash and they really don´t care what happens as long as they get their fees without too much bother. They have had to do some sort of -security- because it was gettint too bad.

ebay owe me 70 pounds for the postage to send a landrover overdrive back to the seller. I won the dispute (it was very obvious) but they won´t give me the postage it cost to send it back to UK from Sweden. When I talked to one of there -personel- over the phone, he actually agreed with me but couldn´t do any more than give me the address of their complaints dept (in Dublin). The letter I sent hasn´t even been aknowledged. The guy still trades and has 100%. As does dear old -Maureen- in Somerset who admitted that she´d had the money for the Stag air intake grill but as they had dropped one of the 2 they had, she didn´t want to send it to me. so she kept the money and the grill. someone told me, can´t remember who, that she subsequently, about a year later, had very back luck with 3 of the four tyres on her Stag. apparently they were mysteriously punctured by 4 inch nails.

I buy very little from ebay these days, it´s a racket. His nibs with the landrover bits might have some bad luck in the future as well, strange things happen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: