classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Seen anything interesting????
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449 ... 479, 480, 481  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes you wonder what the future holds for pre-war cars and related clubs, generally.
Fewer and fewer pre-war cars seem to turn up at shows and other events and according to the marketplace pundits, values are at best stagnating. Reason being given is that cars of this period are no longer attracting younger incoming enthusiasts, who are increasingly drawn to post war models. In fact the big growth area seems to be fast Fords from the 60's and 70's.
No doubt organisations such as VSCC will shake their heads in dismay at this, but the fact remains that demographics seem to suggest that clubs supporting some of the older areas of the historic vehicle movement are dwindling in membership terms as the owners' group age, and new younger memberships become relatively sparse. Unless something is done to widen their appeal, such as admitting a wider range of cars, then they face an uncertain future as dwindling numbers progressively reduce viability.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it the case that the real reason for the decline in Pre War vehicles is that they simply don't fit into expectations of the 21st Century motorist?
norustplease

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason is that the classic car buying public are moving on.
I would guess that many of us are tempted by cars that have some connection with our youth. So, if you are, say, 55-ish , then your era will be late 60's, or early 70's.
The other issue is that a lot of pre-war cars have effectively priced themselves out of the market as far as incoming enthusiasts are concerned, plus the days of the influx of affluent early retirees is something that is also on the wane, as pension packages grow ever more spartan.
You also have a situation where a lot of owners of pre-war cars actually bought them when they were priced at a much lower value, whereas now the myth of investment values has inflated the prices of some models to ridiculous levels.
Boring Tucson SUV
Ray White

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to classic cars rather late in the game because I didn't believe that the then current rust prone tinware would last!

At an early age I had become enchanted with Veteran cars and the London to Brighton Run after seeing the film Genevieve but I never caught up with the rise in values and so missed out somewhat in Veteran car ownership and only ever witnessed the Brighton Run as a spectator.

Of course the Veteran and Vintage car scene back then was far more relaxed and enthusiasts were regarded as probably being a bit flaky!. The idea of an old car as an investment was not taken seriously; as a result some absolute beauties were condemned by the Ten Year Test.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I turned 50 last year and have owned my 1932 Minor since 2016. The car is almost 40 years older than me. I've owned my 1988/89 2CV for the last twenty years. Before I got into 2CVs I had a 1961 Minor 1000 Convertible (genuine factory convertible) that was 10 years older than me. I had nobody in my youth who was interested in old cars, so no idea why I choose to own and drive a car that's vastly older than me. I think it must come from my grandfather owning a Minor Traveller; I remember sitting in the load area and the entire family going on picnics above Hay-on-Wye where my grandparents lived, back in the late-1970s and early-80s. I've often said, and I've actually said it to someone earlier today, that the older and slower the car the more it interests me. I'd love to be able to afford to own an 'old crock' and do the Veteran Car Club London to Brighton Run in November every year.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
Well I turned 50 last year and have owned my 1932 Minor since 2016. The car is almost 40 years older than me. I've owned my 1988/89 2CV for the last twenty years. Before I got into 2CVs I had a 1961 Minor 1000 Convertible (genuine factory convertible) that was 10 years older than me. I had nobody in my youth who was interested in old cars, so no idea why I choose to own and drive a car that's vastly older than me. I think it must come from my grandfather owning a Minor Traveller; I remember sitting in the load area and the entire family going on picnics above Hay-on-Wye where my grandparents lived, back in the late-1970s and early-80s. I've often said, and I've actually said it to someone earlier today, that the older and slower the car the more it interests me. I'd love to be able to afford to own an 'old crock' and do the Veteran Car Club London to Brighton Run in November every year.

Although veterans don't do much for me, I'm much the same in liking vehicles before my own time rather than those I grew up with (with just the occasional exception).

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Crashbox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I wouldn't say no to a nice specimen of the greatest hot hatch of all time, and the one I coveted in my 'yoof' when they were current... A Peugeot 205GTI. I'd probably opt for a mk2 1.6 over the 1.9 though. Better dynamics. Cool

And this is coming from someone who owns a mk7 Golf (not a GTI I hasten to add), but I still think the 205 was/is a better driver's car than the mk2 Golf GTI. We won't mention the difference in build quality between the two 80s/90s cars Laughing

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was quite surprised to see a c1983 Suzuki Alto of all things in a queue of traffic the other day. Painted a lurid green colour it certainly stood out, one of those cars that I've not seen for decades.

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passed a turquoise coloured N reg Mini on my way in today.
norustplease

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Red MGB braving the weather yesterday on the A6 near Clayton le Woods.
Boring Tucson SUV
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spotted a very smart Minor convertible on a recovery vehicle yesterday, maroon with tan roof.

RJ
Rootes75

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely sunshine down here in Somerset at the weekend, still a very bitter cold wind though.

We went out into Wells on Sunday and there were loads of classics out and about in the spring sunshine. A nice Jaguar XJ6, a couple of nice Triumph Spitfires, we spotted a very well restored Mini Cooper then on our way home we passed a very nice grey Morris 1000 pick-up.

Very much made me want to go and get the Hillman out for a run!
Penman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went for a run out to Bettisfield Station to see this "Baguley Drewry" shunter.

Just along the bridle path to the W there was a small "H" suffix Nuffield tractor, it might be 4/25 as it was similar in size to a "Little Grey" I took my own photos but am having problems getting them out of my phone.

On the way there I saw, and heard, what appeared to be a Cobra (Dark Aubergine-ish colour)heading into Ellesmere and then saw it again travelling away from Ellesmere while I was returning.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tour of Cheshire classic car rally passed close by to Ellesmere (Shrops) today, whether what you saw was involved I'm not sure but there weren't any Cobras or similar in the event we watched. But I'm sure plenty of people not involved in the event were out and about in their old cars given the sunny weather today.

RJ
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I wondered if that was on - I was behind a light-ish blue Volvo Amazon on a trailer on Friday afternoon. I'd post a photo but it'd be from the dash cam and it's rubbish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 447, 448, 449 ... 479, 480, 481  Next
Page 448 of 481

Jump to: