classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1936 morris 12/4 series II rebuild and customisation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
GraveFate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:48 am    Post subject: 1936 morris 12/4 series II rebuild and customisation. Reply with quote

Hello there my name is Jason although everyone calls me grave.

I have found an old morris in the back of a scrap yard its all there but some parts are broken and hard to find replacements.
Does any one have a workshop manual for this car that they could scan and email me so i could a better understanding off the make up of this little beauty.
Unlike most of the people on here I'm in Wellington, New Zealand and most people havn't heard of a morris 12 everyone knows the 8 and the 10m and minors but 12 parts are hard to find and when you do they are stuffed and cant be refurbished.
My biggest problem is sourcing the rubbers for windows and and bumpers.
I'm also looking for the springs inside the door hinges and the rubbers that support the spare wheel and can anyone let me know where to get refurbished pear shaped shocks.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.420471164648057.117740.100000555304075&type=3 is the link to see my project on Facebook its not getting fully resored as the top speed isn't fast enough for the roads over here and the side valve engine is seized will be replacing it with a modern engine and new diff if you need parts i might have them ask i might have what you want and if i'm not using it i'll sell it.

Cheers all

Grave[/img]

Last edited by GraveFate on Thu May 31, 2012 11:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

Firstly welcome Very Happy

Have you tried Basis? they are in NZ, I have bought Morris rubber parts from them and had them shipped to the UK... that's when the exchange rate was better and Basis were cheaper...their prices do seem to have climbed Sad

But maybe worth a call

Dave

http://www.basisnz.co.nz/index.pasp
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Grave.

I had a 10/4 Coupe a while ago, I don't remember seeing manuals but the handbooks are very detailed and sell cheaply on ebay when they do turn up. Scanning them would a) take forever and b) be difficult as they're quite tightly bound. You might find copies on trademe.co.nz?

rgds, Rick
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
GraveFate

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

hi dave and rick.

Thank you both for your help i will search them out and put up how i'm going.
i have an issue on the shocks still anyone have any ideas they don't show up in my searches.

GraveFate
acogman

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Welcome Reply with quote

Hi Grave,

Welcome to the forum!
There are no workshop manuals I'm afraid, but as Rick said there is the original handbook which covers day to day running of the car etc.
For the rubber parts, another option may be Woolies? They are UK based, but I'm sure would ship to NZ.

I highly recommend joining the Morris Register, they're a great group of people with huge amounts of knowledge and a good spares service. There are already members in the Antipodes if you need help closer by!

It seems a shame to modify it but I do appreciate the 30mph top speed may be a little slow for modern roads Smile It's quite a difficult balance; between originality and practicality!
If you can keep the engine with the car, it could be refitted in the future? You can keep it as a side project for when you get fedup with welding Smile

The BMC A-series engine from a Morris Minor or Midget was quite a popular 'upgrade' and gives a healthy boost in speed. The problem then starts to be the handling and braking!
The track of the MM and Midget rear axle is pretty close to the 12/4 so may be a good donor as well, plus they came in a range of ratios: http://potteries.mmoc.org.uk/Identify.htm

The Armstrong 'Pear' shock absorbers are quite complex inside that soldered can. They will probably have well and truly seized by now, but if the car was driven with them like that they'll probably be broken as well - they aren't very strong Sad They can be disassembled with a blow-torch and after cleaning thoroughly you can use the least worn parts from several combined to make good ones. The last time I saw any reconditioned ones they were fiendishly expensive at ~£180 each.
We've just turned 10 into 2 working front and 2 working rears! I'll add some pictures of the internals into my Photobucket if it'll help?

I'm not sure which door springs you mean? The hinges are quite simple there's a spring under the securing nut and washer, is that the one? I believe the landrover ones are the same but much cheaper: http://www.brookwell.co.uk/item/1473/hinge-pin-kit

I can't see your pictures unfortunately, the link says unavailable?
Does it have the standard body? The chassis' were also sold bare for local coach-builders to fit there own designs onto? Is it an earlier one with a three speed gearbox and wire wheels, or later with 'Easi-clean' wheels? Does it have the inbuilt jacking system?

If I can help, please let me know,
Andrew
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, here's one of the photos from the facebook link:

I've not seen a grille badge like that before, perhaps unique to export cars?

RJ
acogman

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rick, it looks in much better condition than mine was!
Pretty complete as well.

I've seen that style of grille before but not on a Series II, maybe added later?

Andrew
GraveFate

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: car rebuild Reply with quote

I found it in a scrap yard and it was complete with everything except the rear view mirrors.
The engine is seized and the shocks travel but i don't know if they are ok to drive.

The part all you guys are going to hate is that I'm hot rodding this car.

The front will have friction shocks and the back will have a ladder bar upgrade and a Hilux diff as they fit and the original snaps too easy.
The engine getting put in it is a 2jzge out of a Toyota Supra the in line six will push it along nicely and scare the neighbors in there ugly holden ute. I have home made alloy bomber seats designed and will be making them when i get some sheet metal to fab them up. I will use the original runners attached to these.
I'm 6'7" so need extra room to see through the windscreen.

I need specs of the rear leaf springs and the size of the fuel tank in litres.
also the dry weight of the car in stock form.

Any help is muchly appreciated.

cheers Jason aka GraveFate
GraveFate

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: door hinge spring. Reply with quote

Hi

Yes its the one under the brass ball i broke a few pulling the hinges apart which landrover years and models have them.

Thanks for the information not much is known about these cars in New Zealand even thought there are a fair few around there is a morris club but they aren't happy with the fact its not being restored so aren't very helpful.

cheers

Jason aka GraveFate
GraveFate

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: details on the car. Reply with quote

It has they easi-clean wheels by Dunlop of england.
As for the in built jacking system i was wondering what that was, but only has it in the rear even though it appears that it had it in the front at some stage as there are mounts that appear to fit them.
The fold up rear seat and underfloor panel and the spare wheel on the rear.
Did these have a cover and if so can someone post a picture of one?
It had a curtain that covered the rear windscreen on the inside operated buy a lever slide on the roof above the driver door.
Has the square art deco gauges and dash covers and the three speed manual gear box.
it has a tiny SU style carb and the crank handle.

hope this helps

cheers

Jason aka GraveFate
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: details on the car. Reply with quote

GraveFate wrote:

Did these have a cover and if so can someone post a picture of one?

The 10/4 coupe I once owned had a steel cover over the rear spare wheel, I'm sure the 12/4 saloon would do also, I'll check to see if I have any pics.

RJ
acogman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for not replying sooner!

It is a shame you're planning to modify it, but it's your car so you can do what you want Smile .

I appreciate that prewar cars may not be the most capable at keeping up with modern traffic!
If you do it sympathetically you may be able to return it to original in the future? There can't be many of them in NZ? Future valuable car?

The weight of the car is recorded as 21 3/4 CWT (about 1000kg)
I think the fuel tank is about 7.5 or 8 gallons (about 36 litres)
What details do you need about the leaf springs?

The hinge pins & balls seem to have been fitted to series 1 and Defender models, not sure of the date I'm afraid. Also I'm not certain they are the right diameter yet!

The spare wheel cover was (mostly) an optional extra, its a simple spun steel cover held on by the hubcap, there's a picture in my photobucket.

How is the restoration / conversion going, any pictures you can share?
Please keep us updated.

Andrew
GraveFate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: An update. Reply with quote

Due to laws in my country and some more measuring, the 2jz supra motor wont work as the power increase is too much and cutting the firewall will remove vital leg room.

Due to wanting to retain the original steering set up a 12a rotary has been acquired with a manual five speed gearbox as this is almost as small as the original engine but some floor mods will be needed to fit the much longer gearbox.

As I'm on a really tight budget and the seats were rotten I removed the covers and found under the spring assemblies the frame is solid plywood and steel. It has a reasonable shape as a bomber seat with two cuts and a little weld job I will get the bomber shape I want. Some foam and vinyl later and I will have a very cool set of front seats. Now just to rebuild the original rear seat as I need to be able to fit my sons car seat in the back.

The chassis is getting a remodel for extra strength and rigidity as well as replacing rusted out sections. A more aggressive stance/rake is being achieved via four bar and a watts linkage in the rear with coil-overs for adjustment.

In the front I will be removing the original front fenders and running board setup and going down the bicycle front fenders and bobbed rear fender style that was popular for race cars of the time.

As I don't want people seeing the engine I'm running and want to be able to park it on the street and not worry about it being tampered with I will be remodeling the gull wing bonnet.

Progress is slow due to other commitments and lack of funds but I will get there and will get some pics up soon of my design and the progress.

Cheers for reading
Bye for now

Jason aka GraveFate
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: