classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Bluemels steering wheels
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:45 am    Post subject: Bluemels steering wheels Reply with quote

I didn't know if this would be of any interest?

I hadn't seen this steering wheel restoration site before and although I have no involvement with them it seems the guy is knowledgeable enough .
https://www.bluemels.co.uk

Last edited by Ray White on Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good find.

Thanks for posting,

Peter
petelang

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not certain but think my Dad began his working career at Blumels in East London which would have been in late 1920s.

Also, Doverite mentioned on the website was the material used to wrap the handrails on London Buses on the platform entrances right up until the Routemasters. It is the familiar white spiral wrap.
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As previously mentioned, I bought a new 'Brooklands' Bluemels steering wheel and boss for my MG TC. I had already fitted the popular VW steering box conversion which has lower gearing than the standard 'Bishop cam' so, to compensate, I ordered a 15 1/2" wheel to replace the 17 " one that came with the car.

As I have chosen to fit ivory coloured switches etc to the dashboard I opted for the same with the steering wheel. I think it is remarkable that you can still get other than black finishes these days. I have to say I am delighted with the quality and finish of the new wheel.

The original wheel, which remains in reasonable condition - despite some surface rust on the spokes - will remain with the car. I could sell it for a pretty penny but I want it to remain with the car in perpetuity. A future owner with different ideas to me may wish to restore the original steering box and steering wheel; so it stays.

Last edited by Ray White on Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

petelang wrote:
I'm not certain but think my Dad began his working career at Blumels in East London which would have been in late 1920s.

Also, Doverite mentioned on the website was the material used to wrap the handrails on London Buses on the platform entrances right up until the Routemasters. It is the familiar white spiral wrap.

That is a super piece of historical knowledge, Pete. Thanks for sharing. I well remember the white spiral wrap on the Routemaster. A very distinctive feature . Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: