classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Top tips for buying a starter classic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Top tips for buying a starter classic Reply with quote

Ok, there are a few people around here who have been tinkering with old motors for quite some time (I'm just an amateur at 21 years with old cars), so how bout a thread with some top tips on what to look for when buying a first, daily user, classic? I get asked this quite a lot via email. Here are a few things that spring to mind:

1. Draw up a shortlist of the cars you like, of the type that best suits you - ie saloons, sports, commercials, estate cars etc.
2. Check the insurance, get a few quotes, and identify the vehicles in your shortlist that you can afford to insure.
3. Do research - check on the parts availability for a car, are there good owners clubs around who can help with advice on running it?
4. Read read read road tests, buyers guides in classic car mags, and get to know the common problem areas, and maybe the best models and years to look for.
5. Check out magazines, local papers, and the internet for examples to look at
6. If possible, get someone who knows about these cars to come along and inspect it with you. If you can't do this, consider having a professional inspection (the AA do this for example).
7. Don't rush into buying something (I can't talk really!), and Do Drive It before committing to buy - driving old cars is totally different to something made yesterday, you may find that you hate it!!
8. Unless you want to be under the bonnet every weekend, buy the best example you can afford. Of course if you want a project car, then this doesn't necessarily apply, although a decent rot-free body will make any resto a bit less of an endurance.
9. Make sure you have somewhere to store it. Parked outside on the road is ok but isn't a good place to store something really nice, or work on it for that matter. Insurance will cost more too.
10. Be prepared to do some maintenance work, even on a good example. Old cars need regular fettling so don't expect it to work like something modern.

Any more handy hints to add to this new thread???

thanks, R
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proably a good idea as well is to try and make contact with a few enthusiasts. They are usually a friendly bunch and will give loads of advice if asked, albeit a bit biased at times!
redfordmk2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of ideas to meet owners is to seek out a local club and to go along to classic car shows as a spectator.

Clubs can be found in the magazines or by just typing in your area, followed by "classic car club" into a web browser. By attending a show you can also see the cars in the flesh and, if you ask nicely, the owner may let you in the car to get the feel of it.
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I am not really in a position to give advice as I am only 21 and only getting my first car 4 or 5 years ago, even though they have all been of the older kind. I would say be prepared to either spend alot of money on maintenance/restoration even on a minter, you will need regular maintenance or be prepared to get stuck in yourself. For me fiddling is the best bit!

Cheers

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: