classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 Series 1 1937 - Jacking points?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Morganrsn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Morris 8 Series 1 1937 - Jacking points? Reply with quote

I am changing the brakes on my Morris 8, the front is on axle stands but I am not sure where the back jacking point is? Do I put the jack where the rear leaf springs are? or could I jack it on the bottom of the diff?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a sturdy and stable trolley jack, I'd be inclined to jack up on the diff housing so long as there's no risk of mullering the drain plug...just keep an eye on the front axle stands while it's being raised, if the front is to remain in the air whilst jacking up the back.

PS welcome to the forum Smile

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Morganrsn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks I will go and give it a go now.
hunsta

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always found that putting any car on jack stands front and rear, I put the rear up first. Placing the stands as close to the springs on the axle housing. Then the front. This allows the car to pivot on the axle housing and not push the stands backwards as you raise the front.
welder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris 8 Series 1 1937 - Jacking points? Reply with quote

Morganrsn wrote:
I am changing the brakes on my Morris 8, the front is on axle stands but I am not sure where the back jacking point is? Do I put the jack where the rear leaf springs are? or could I jack it on the bottom of the diff?
Any help much appreciated. Thanks

HI Morganrsn, welcome to this cracking forum.

I, too, own a 1937 Series 1 and can tell you that there are no jacking points as such. What you suggest/propose about putting your jack beneath the diff housing is exactly what I do, assuming, of course, that you're talking about a trolley jack.

If not, go out and buy one with a fairly large "contact" pad, put a cloth over said pad and jack up the back of the car, then insert suitable axle stands. Sorted.

Ian
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming a bit late to this thread, but here goes.

When jacking up with a trolley jack, the jack will roll as the car is raised, to follow the arc of the jack's arm, so no fear of its pushing over the axle stands at the other end.

For jacking under the diff., to accommodate the protruding drain plug, drill a 1/2" hole in a 1" thick short length of timber and place on the jack's pad so that the plug goes into the hole. This is by far the best and safest way to proceed, and will avoid damage to the plug and diff housing. The plug's thread was never intended to take the entire weight of the back end of the car!

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: