classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Adhesive for ash framing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:46 pm    Post subject: Adhesive for ash framing Reply with quote

Can someone advise what is the best adhesive to use when glueing and screwing joints in an ash frame on a pre war car.
Thanks
Mike
kevin2306

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

personally id use a d4 spec resin glue

http://www.sealantsandtoolsdirect.co.uk/adhesives/wood_glue/everbuild_d4_solvent_free_ind_grade_d4_wood_adhesive_1_litre_d41_P23443.html?gclid=CIzahdC_hboCFTMctAod0FcAdQ

great stuff and is far better than pva or cascamite type glues.

kev
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at school we built a hovercraft as a technology project. It had quite a few wooden components, including the main deck . Weused cascamite to stick it all together....but that was a long time ago !!! I'm sure as Kev points out there is better stuff these days, though I have to say, when we had glued something incorrectly, when we tried to break the joint the wood gave in before the glue!

Might be worth browsing boat building forums or suppliers websites.

Dave
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM Rileys don't use glue at all.
The slight movement at the joint as a result prevents the timber fracturing. The joints (half-lap mostly) have a cloth interface to prevent squeaking whilst flexing. Other than that they rely on the screw to hold it all together.
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My little book on wooden body framing says to use Aerolite which is a 2 part glue because it is waterproof and flexible. It doesn't like pva and certainly not the animal glue used originally.
whiteshadow

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:58 am    Post subject: glue Reply with quote

I do quite a bit of woodworking, and also do framing on the car......

My vote would actually go to the foaming polyurathane type glues- like gorilla glue.
Foams in a close fitting joint which is very strong, less brittle than the white glues, waterproof and easy to sand.

As with all these things, the best way forward would be to do a little experiment with your best guess glues.......the cost of the glue is very low compared to the effort of building - or rebuilding!

M
1935Hillman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just about finished with my ash frame and don't intend gluing the joints at all. Just relying on tight fitting and good pre-drilling of screws. I have however used Resintite for all my laminated curves. It bonds really well and the resulting curves still have some spring to them when dry. As a joiner I would probably only really expect to glue a mortice and tenon joint and did consider making my ash frame that way for a while but took an aspirin and felt better after a lie down!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: