classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Removing old paint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
pauldaf44

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Removing old paint. Reply with quote

I have a hardtop for my Spitfire that I want to refurbish to go with the car it needs a fair amount of work. I have noted that it seems to have been painted in what doesn't appear to be automotive paint.

Am I right in thinking this all must be removed down to bare metal if I am ever to get a decent paint finish?

Also how do I remove it, its stubborn stuff and is clogging my sanding discs in a matter or seconds and still doesn't seem to be having much of an effect? Would it be safe with respect to repainting to use a chemical stripper to try and get it off?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Nitromors successfully; as long as the panel is cleaned prior to painting its fine.

Dave
petermeachem

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used nitromors to soften the paint and a poly abrasive disc to remove it. The discs are hugely impressive, all the paint flies off and the metal is undamaged. Also reduces the amount of nitromors required, it isn't cheap. You just need to soften the paint a little to help the disc along. Discs can be bought on ebay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: