classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Morris 8 E clutch assembly
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Morris 8 E clutch assembly Reply with quote

......I made the mistake of ordering a new clutch assembly (Borg & Beck)anticipating the one fitted would be worn when it was removed.....Not so, in fact it looks newish, no noticeable wear of the clutch plate 'cork' although a tad shiny. So I thought, I've got a new one now.... I will change it anyway.

Well that was the intention until I discovered that the locating holes for the flywheel dowel pins are smaller than the pins I have acquired and which fit the flywheel as described in my previous post. In short the new assembly won't fit onto the two dowel pins....

So plan two....... use the old clutch assembly (which does fit the dowel pins)but use the new clutch plate, but then I noticed that the new and old clutch plates have a slightly different central inner structure (the new one seems less robust) Everything else appears the same, but I am wondering if the new clutch plate fitted in the old assembly is going to work.

I guess that I could drill out the dowel pin locating holes in the new clutch assembly to size........but then I am wondering "why are these holes not the right size anyway" Can anyone give me some advice.

Stuart
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart

Are the bolt holes in the cover a tight fit on the bolts? If yes you don't need the dowels. That said I would be inclined to enlarge the cover holes to fit the dowels.

Dave
Stuart2u

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave.

The bolt fit through the new cover is about the same as the old assembly......its a sloppy fit and would allow a fractional movement if not contained by the dowels. I guess the solution would be to drill out the dowel holes in the new cover if I finally decided to fit the entire new assembly and not just fit the new driven plate to the old cover.

My reason for wavering on which way to proceed is my dilemma concerning the slight differences between the new and old driven plates.

Perhaps I could show you what my concerns are when I see you.

Stuart
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: