classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rear luggage rack for Series 1 Morris 8 4-door saloon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
welder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Rear luggage rack for Series 1 Morris 8 4-door saloon Reply with quote

I'd like to fabricate a luggage rack for the rear of Old Morris. The bumper irons have the appropriate fixing points, I believe they all do.

I understand that my car would have been fitted with the "non-folding" style of rack, other than that I have little information. I've spent hours poring over photos of Morris 8's but can't get sufficient detail to enable drawings to be made.

I wonder if some kind owner, with suitable rack fitted to his/her 8, would take a couple of close up shots, particularly of the fixing/hinging arrangement and put them up on here to help me in this project. Alternatively, if such owner lives within a reasonable distance from Brum, could I possibly visit to take pics/measurements?

I would be grateful for assistance in this matter.

Ian
Penman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
The series one in this thread has a folding one.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10928

and the Black one on page 6 of this thread has a non-folding one.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7474&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
welder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Hi
The series one in this thread has a folding one.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=10928

and the Black one on page 6 of this thread has a non-folding one.
http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/forum/phpbb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7474&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=75

Penman, you're quite right, there does seem to be a mix and match of luggage racks fitted.

I've viewed more photos of them than I care to remember and the majority of Series 1's show the non-folding type, though.

Anyway, it's much easier to make that sort. Laughing

Ian
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not checked to see if they're similar or not, but you're welcome to measure the folding one on my Minor if it's any help (Brum 1hr away)

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
Bob T

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage rack for Series 1 Morris 8 4-door saloon Reply with quote

welder wrote:
I'd like to fabricate a luggage rack for the rear of Old Morris. The bumper irons have the appropriate fixing points, I believe they all do.

I understand that my car would have been fitted with the "non-folding" style of rack, other than that I have little information. I've spent hours poring over photos of Morris 8's but can't get sufficient detail to enable drawings to be made.

I wonder if some kind owner, with suitable rack fitted to his/her 8, would take a couple of close up shots, particularly of the fixing/hinging arrangement and put them up on here to help me in this project. Alternatively, if such owner lives within a reasonable distance from Brum, could I possibly visit to take pics/measurements?

Ian

Ian,
I have a Series 1 with non-folding rack and a Series 2 with a folding one. I will happily take some detailed pics for you. Which one do you want? As you say it would be easier to do the non-folding.
Let me know and give me your email and I will send them direct.
Cheers
Bob
welder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Rear luggage rack for Series 1 Morris 8 4-door saloon Reply with quote

Bob T wrote:
welder wrote:

Ian

Ian,
I have a Series 1 with non-folding rack and a Series 2 with a folding one. I will happily take some detailed pics for you. Which one do you want? As you say it would be easier to do the non-folding.
Let me know and give me your email and I will send them direct.
Cheers
Bob

Bob, you're a good man! I'll PM you with my email address.

It's the non-folding one I'd like to make, the other one is a series of pressings and stuff and cost, as a one-off, would be prohibitive.

Rick, I thank you for your kind offer but I'll stick with the non-folding type as it's within my realm of experience/ability.

You've just triggered a memory. When I was a young boy there was an elderly lady living almost opposite us who drove a cream and blue 2-seater Minor. This was her sole transport for many years and the car was immaculate. Early 30's I'm thinking.

After many years our local garage owner convinced her to buy something newer and ordinary. So ordinary that I can't remember what it was.

I'd dearly love to have that car now, much as I did then.

Ian
welder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum is fast becoming my favourite. Friendly and helpful. Bob T has been as good as his word and has emailed me all the information and images I could have hoped for.

I can now manufacture an authentic luggage rack for Old Morris and mount upon it a wicker picnic basket which has been languishing in the loft for a very long time.

Robert Taylor, I salute you and offer my sincere thanks.

Ian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian

If you want to go into production I'm after one for my M8 series 1 Very Happy

Cheers

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi Ian

If you want to go into production I'm after one for my M8 series 1 Very Happy

Cheers

Dave

Dave, I'll make three, then.

One for me, one for you and one to go on eBay to fund yours and mine. Laughing

I shan't be rushing this project, though. I have to prioritise, as in getting Old Morris running, stopping and roadworthy before all else. Only then shall you and I have picnic capability.

I like a picnic. Will you bring the cider?

Ian
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I'll bring the cider Very Happy Very Happy

I have a shed full of M8 bits, so if you are short of anything to make yours stop or start let me know Smile

Dave
welder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Of course I'll bring the cider Very Happy Very Happy

I have a shed full of M8 bits, so if you are short of anything to make yours stop or start let me know Smile

Dave

Dave, that's a very kind offer and south Cheshire isn't far from Birmingham.

Are you anywhere near Whitchuch by any chance? I often spend a weekend bivvied-up and fishing for carp at a cracking fishery called Blakemere Liesure, just outside Whitchurch.

Ian
huggy0

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: morris 8 luggage rack Reply with quote

[Hi i am also after a Morris 8 luggage rack non folding and wondered if i may purchase the 3rd one you are making or whether you might be able to let me have a copy of the plans so that i can make one as i have been looking for absolutely ages

many thanks

hugh Very Happy [/b]
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me out of my misery, could someone post a picture so I can see what a luggage rack looks like.

regards kels.
Kelsham

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put me out of my misery, could someone post a picture so I can see what a luggage rack looks like.

regards kels.
Bob T

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some pics last week and sent to someone else. I can either send them to you direct if you give me your email or will post a couplke on the site. Is there any particular bit you want to see?
Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: