classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Decanting paint
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
Miken

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Decanting paint Reply with quote

I have purchased 5ltrs of epoxy primer.
Experience many years ago of trying to pour out cellulose primer from a 5 ltr can into a small spraygun reminds me that although it went in, more went on the floor.
So,
What is the easiest and least messy way of decanting off small amounts, Say, a cupful and then measuring and mixing 4 -1 ratio
I have liberated a load of clean paper cups from the vending machines at work as a start.
Thanks
Mike
mid

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i used to do spraying in a small workshop we'd decant the thinners into a measuring jug. all paint was then mixed and thinned in paper cups before being put into the guns.

made it very easy to control and pour but the H&S guys didnt like it as it left the thinners open to the elements
petermeachem

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot of primer, I only have 1.2l.
I bought 50 paint mixing cups. Nice and big and marked with scales to make the dilution easy.
My primer had settled well, I had to stir it a lot!
These were the ones I bought, I should have at least 40 left over
http://www.express-paints.co.uk/plastic-cups-50/
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's maybe worth pointing out that all sorts of plastic bottles can be cut down into handy disposable funnels and jugs. You can't have too many old newspapers either Wink
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get a spout that clips onto the can lip. I can't trace it just now but one was available from KBS coatings (Rustseal) and well advised to be used as their paint is like superglue and any left on the rim seals it shut. Being an old skinflint , I use wide masking tape and create a sort of spout on the can and at least make sure the rim stays clean.

You could use a stainless-steel ladle to decant the paint like soup; it also serves as a measure for thinners if you're doing cellulose.
Miken

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I have now ordered some graduated measuring cups and been given some large syringes as well.
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently brush-painting small sections of my floor as I finish checking and/or replacing them, using a 2.5L can of red oxide primer. So as to not have that open or be dipping a brush in it, I decant a small amount into a jam jar to use. I've been using a tablespoon but it doesn't quite have the angle, so I got a small plastic ladle the other day which works very well. The only problem is the amount of paint lost when it sticks to the ladle, as I'm brushing it I can get a lot of it off, and if you're mixing with thinners you could pour it via the ladle to clean it.

As colwyn said, you might be better with stainless steel depending on whether your paint will attack a plastic one. A big syringe is also a good idea. I just got a small one of those to get air line oil into my very small plastic bottle that I use to pop a few drops into my air tools before and after use - the top diameter is about the size of a 5p, so no chance of pouring it without spillage.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use old treacle and syrup tins for small quantities of oil paints, they work well and are a handy size.
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the problem a full 5L can is difficult to pour, you can always ask the paint shop to put 2.5L into 2 x 5L cans, makes life much easier Smile

If you are going to decant into other cans or use ladles to scoop it out, they must be thoroughly de-greased, the slightest contamination can spoil a paint job.

Dave
JonV2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't advise using a soup ladle to decant the paint; trying to sand out the pea and ham in the topcoat is a real bugger. Very Happy (Well someone HAD to say it!)
1959 XK150
colwyn500

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonV2 wrote:
I don't advise using a soup ladle to decant the paint; trying to sand out the pea and ham in the topcoat is a real bugger. Very Happy (Well someone HAD to say it!)

I don't know, try Tesco's Carrot and Coriander it's a lovely colour and gives a very even finish. Sticks like glue even without an undercoat. Surprised
JonV2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok guys - hands up who was trying to think of a way to get "Orange Peel" into the thread... (I was, and just did!)
1959 XK150
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: