classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Start problem
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Gjneves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Start problem Reply with quote

Hy Guys,
After completed the electrical work and change all spark plug cable my morris don't Start. I think the problm might be from carborat.
I show you a small vídeo:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ysv186xw0f8kvkj/20140204_191859.AVI

Any tips?
Thanks

Gonçalo Neves
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds as though it's trying to start but isn't getting enough fuel to keep running. You're not helping it by expecting it to run without operating the throttle; try working the linkage up and down through about 1/4" when the engine starts to fire.

Are you using full choke? On the SU carburettor the 'choke' control pulls the jet downwards to richen the mixture for starting. If the carburettor has a tickler (small button on top of the float bowl), press it down for a second or two with the fuel pump switched on to raise the float level.

Otherwise, try richening the mixture by screwing in the jet nut (clockwise, looking from underneath) by a couple of flats. If that doesn't work, try removing the air cleaner and partially blocking the inlet with your hand.

All this presumes that everything else is set correctly: valve timing, ignition timing, spark plug gaps, distributor leads in correct order, etc., etc.

Richard
kevin2306

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be asking if it ran ok before the change over of electrical items, could be coincidental and actually be the carb but my money would be on a faulty new componant..i replaced the singers plug leads recently for a brand new set..they were total and utter cr@p.
bought a new old stock lucas set that fitted fine and work well.

kev
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Richard

My Morris Z van (same engine) is exactly the same when trying to start on cold mornings; there isn't quite enough choke even when its fully pulled out, and I haven't got round to adjusting it Embarassed ....so when I need to start it at the moment, I flood the carburetor with the tickler and this gives the engine the extra rich fuel it need to fire up for those first few seconds..it fires up on the first couple of turns, then needs choke for about 60 seconds.

Great idea posting a video Smile

Dave
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
Try richening the mixture by screwing in the jet nut (clockwise, looking from underneath) by a couple of flats.

Correction—obviously that's wrong. You need to unscrew the jet nut by turning it anticlockwise, looking from underneath. Sorry! (Looks as though no-one spotted my deliberate mistake, or perhaps you're too polite to say so).

R
Gjneves

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all replies,
Before I repair the electrical system the engine runs, whoever sincerely I don't remember if it run good, I know that's run. I don't touch in distributor,ignition timing, just confirm that have spark in plug, adjust the cap in distributor.
After this, the engine don't run and I think because the plug spark smell a lot petrol, have a petrol excess. I turn the jet nut by turning it anticlockwise to remove petrol but I have two nut and I adjust those 2 nuts equality and try to turn on engine without success how I show I fist post.

Regards,
Gonçalo Neves
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I have just noticed your location, ironically I am currently at a conference at the Penha Longa hotel near Sintra !

Whilst the weather here has been a bit damp, it's much warmer than the UK, but cooler than typical Portugal temperature , I am wondering if the car has only been used in the warmer months, that the mixture is on the lean side ?

Cheers

Dave
goneps

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gjneves wrote:
...but I have two nut and I adjust those 2 nuts equality and try to turn on engine without success how I show I fist post.

Oh dear! It sounds as though you've moved the (larger) locking nut as well as the smaller (and lower) jet adjusting nut.

If so, you'll have to remove the carburettor and centralise the jet. This video shows you how (scroll forward to start at 3:30):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxVFCY_1aSA

Once this is correctly set, LEAVE IT ALONE. You only need adjust the (smaller, lower) jet nut to alter the mixture.

If there's too much fuel, crank the starter continuously (for up to 30 seconds) with the throttle wide open until it fires.

Richard
Gjneves

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ukdave2002 wrote:
Hi

I have just noticed your location, ironically I am currently at a conference at the Penha Longa hotel near Sintra !

Whilst the weather here has been a bit damp, it's much warmer than the UK, but cooler than typical Portugal temperature , I am wondering if the car has only been used in the warmer months, that the mixture is on the lean side ?

Cheers

Dave

This is a beautiful place in Sintra! Yes, lot of rain,isn't usually like that. If you need to know any place in Lisbon please tell me!

Yes, I change the two nut on throttle regulation. But for me it's look the same size, whoever one of them have a little spring.
So, I need to centralise the jet?

Gonçalo
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of fuel mixture, "lean" means the same as "weak", ie. too little fuel for the volume of air. "Weak" is the English term, "lean" is preferred by Americans (shame on you, Dave!).

When you say there are two nuts of the same size, I think you must be talking about the float bowl attachment and the jet assembly locking nut (jet screw). The jet adjusting nut is concentric with and below the locking nut.

Time to put an end to this confusion. Here are the relevant pages from the Series E workshop manual.

Richard

Rosco663

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work Richard Very Happy

Even more informative than my SU Carbie book Shocked

Cheers
Gjneves

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Persist! Reply with quote

Hy Guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s61ks5o9jjmynjk/Original.AVI

After dismount and center de jet on carburator, I review the electrical system, i have spark in plug's, change litle degress distributor position, check the petrol pump but the engine DONT start....=( Do I missing something else?
Confirm that the (+) pol in coil connect to the A3 position control box?

Thanks,
Gonçalo Neves
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Series E cars were originally wired for positive earth. If the car is still positive earth then A3 should be connected to the negative terminal of the coil, ie. battery negative terminal to coil negative terminal.

Once again it seems to be trying to fire, which is what's causing the starter pinion to disengage. I repeat my earlier advice to 'tickle' the carburettor for 1-2 seconds to richen the mixture, and 'pump' the throttle while the starter motor is turning the engine.

Is the ignition timing correct? Points should open at Top Dead Centre (arrow on timing cover aligned with mark on pulley with no.1 piston on compression stroke). A good spark is of no use unless it's occurring at the right time.

Richard
Gjneves

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
All Series E cars were originally wired for positive earth. If the car is still positive earth then A3 should be connected to the negative terminal of the coil, ie. battery negative terminal to coil negative terminal.

Once again it seems to be trying to fire, which is what's causing the starter pinion to disengage. I repeat my earlier advice to 'tickle' the carburettor for 1-2 seconds to richen the mixture, and 'pump' the throttle while the starter motor is turning the engine.

Is the ignition timing correct? Points should open at Top Dead Centre (arrow on timing cover aligned with mark on pulley with no.1 piston on compression stroke). A good spark is of no use unless it's occurring at the right time.

Richard

Thanks Richard,
The engine mark pulley is alingned with arrow engine. And the rotor in distributor cap is aligned on spark cable no1.It is correct?
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goneps wrote:
In terms of fuel mixture, "lean" means the same as "weak", ie. too little fuel for the volume of air. "Weak" is the English term, "lean" is preferred by Americans (shame on you, Dave!).

Well I never knew that!..when I was at uni, way back when the Pet Shop Boys were trendy, we always used the terms lean & rich, lecturers did also use the term "gas" ie more gas would mean more throttle, so perhaps I should have realized ......sorry realised Smile

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: