classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

New car to us - Austin Big 7
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
bubble

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:17 pm    Post subject: New car to us - Austin Big 7 Reply with quote

Hi everybody, glad you all seem to be having a great day with your cars. Today we started work on our Austin big seven. We only picked it up on Wednesday. It was green with black arches but all the paint has been stripped ready for painting, trouble is we don't know how to find out what colour we should buy to be nearest to the original green and black as it was in 1938. Does anybody out there know how we can find out. We live in Suffolk and we have several internal bits that we are not quite sure where and how they go. Would love to view another big seven in Suffolk Essex or Norfolk area . We have a six lite version. Thanks for any help you can give, thanks Gary & Lynne
Norfolkjohn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Congratulations on your new acquisition. Can I suggest you get in touch with these folks : http://www.na7c.co.uk/

I'm not an Austin owner but have come across this club at various events in recent years and they seem a very knowledgeable and friendly bunch.

All the best, John
bubble

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, thanks for this but we have tried contacting them but have had no replies from them, are you in the north Norfolk car club. Very Happy
Norfolkjohn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again. Sorry you haven't had a reply from the Norfolk Austin 7 Club. I have sent you a PM with a suggested direct contact that may be able to help you.

Yes - I'm a member of North Norfolk Classic Vehicle Club.

Cheers

John
Rick
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to hear of your Austin.

It may be worth contacting a paint manufacturer, such as HMG in Manchester. I visited them while having the truck rebuilt, they had boxes of old paint sample books going back to the 1930s, so they may have something on record.

I wonder if a Heritage Certificate would record the original paint name, to use as a starting point in your search?

RJ
OCC & classic car merchandise (Austin, Ford ++):
https://www.redbubble.com/people/OldClassicCar/shop
mikeC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought the obvious starting point would be the Austin Big Seven Register! Try: Robin Taylor, 101 Derby Road, Chellaston, Derby, DE73 1SB. Tel: 01332 700629
enquiries@austinbigseven.co.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: