classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Need advice on Austin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Need advice on Austin Reply with quote

Hi.
Almost 3 years ago I inherited an Austin Cambridge from my late grandad. She's been kept in a garage since I moved, but Grandad used to keep her in his driveway all year round (he bought her new, some time in the 60s)
I'd like to restore her sometime in the future and need to know how much it would cost to get her roadworthy.
The car's in good working order (I took her for a spin soon after I inherited her) but there's rust in the front wings, a small hole in the floor and a sill has come off (vandalism).
How much would it cost to get her restored? Can you recommend anyone?

Nick C
admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

It all depends how much work is required, biggest expense could well be in getting the bodywork back to A1 condition unless you can do it yourself?

If you have any photos, by all means pop them on here

cheers
Rick
Nick

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rick
Sorry, I don't have any photos with me at the moment.
Most of the bodywork is OK thanks to 40 years of care from my grandfather. Unfortunately the car was neglected for a year, left in his driveway until we sold his house.
The engine, lights and brakes still work. There's a little surface rust. I spent the summer before last removing most of it and filling in the gaps.
The front wings are rusted through, there's a hole in the corner of the floor near the accelerator, and the area around the wheels needs attention.
Before I moved some kids thought it would be funny to vandalise my car when I was out (they smashed a sill and pulled off one of the chrome strips.) Since then I've kept the car in a garage.
Do you know of any good mechanics in Hertfordshire who do good repairs and charge a fair price?
Thanks.
Nick.
Nick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture

(fixed it - Rick)
admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nick

Surface rust isn't a problem for the MOT (so long as there are no jagged edges), so to get back on the road, its the structural bits that are most important to get right. Common rotspots on 60s Austins are the rear spring hangers, ie where the rear leaf springs attach to the chassis rails. If it is rot free there, its good news. Equally have a look at any outriggers, namely box sections that run from the centre of the car (usually either end of the floor pans), out to the outer extremities where they join the sills. Have a good poke at the sills too (the longditudinal panels that run below the doors). My old Wolseley (same body as the Austin) had gone there. The floor shouldn't be too tricky to have done.

Unless you fancy learning to weld and doing this kind of thing often, I'd recommend rooting out a good local garage who can do the work for you. By the time you invest in the tools you might as well pay someone to do it ..

a) so long as they do a good job
b) and you don't plan doing this work often.

If you want to do more of this, then it'd be worth buying the gear and learning to do it yourself.

hope this helps!?
Rick
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again Nick

have you had any more thoughts on how you'll approach the resto of the Cambridge??

Rick
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: