classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Rust Preventative Chassis and Underbody Paints
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UJ I’d really be interested in the comparison of your cheaper processes compared to theirs. I am convinced that EPD dip is the best for priming good clean metal, as people have pointed out most modern 10 year old cars are not rusty, but it’s the cleaning and treating that needs to be spot on for the EPD dip priming to be really successful.

So go for it!!, they do seem very friendly and passionate aboput what they do ; Rick might get a sponsored link from them!!! Very Happy
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know what you others say about this, but I suspect that it would be a good idea to persuade a representative from SPL, as well as one or two of the other companies I've been in touch with to join the forum, and post comments/answer questions.

It should be good publicity for them all, if nothing else! Maybe discounts could be arranged for forum members?

The system that I have decided to use for my Lincoln, incidentally, should cost me between £100 and £150. Which does seem a lot better than the £2k figures I've seen! I'm impressed with the guy I have mailed my questions to (the MD!). Feet on the ground, and no BS!

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff UJ, I know there will be several of us keen to see your analysis, are you going to let us know what you low cost system is , (you have referred to it a few time now!!) or will we have to wait for your results?
As you say there is more than a 10 fold difference in costs I guess you will need to make sure your comparing apples with apples, have you thought what score criteria will you be using?

Dave
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, the results in reverse order: Note that I have not knowingly included anyone from the forum in these results. Which may or may not have upset someone! Very Happy

5th place: Hammerite. % for: 0

4th place: POR15. % for: 50.

3rd place: Bill Hirsch Miracle Paint: % for 100, but see the analysis, there were a few negatives, which drop it to 3rd.

2nd place: Eastwood: % for 100

1st place, (and not even a rust proofer) two pack!

After I 'closed' the research, I did find a two pack Rust Preventative FOR HOME USE, which is what I am going to start using. Some quick trawling provided no negative comments.

Any questions or comments?

UJ
UKdave2002

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what this is telling us UJ? .

What were the tests? and what are you actually measuring?. Have I missed something on an earlier forum?

Did this test include the de- rusting and painting process that you have told us is better and cheaper than SPL?
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to find out what worked, long term, and what didnt. So I figured that the best way was to gather as much information as possible from people that had experience of using these products. In most cases, I have had several contacts with the person to clarify things, such as how they used it, surface prep. and so on.

Mine and SPL weren't included, simply because at that time, I didnt know about them. But, if I had done, and could have gathered enough info, they would have been, as would other products such as Rustoleum, MFR.

Eventually, I came to several conclusions. One of which was that the better the info from the manufacturer, the better the end result. which probably explains the poor result from Hammerite. These guys must be contortionists! Laughing

The most interesting thing was the result from Two Pack, which is what led me to contacting my chemist friend, who explained why it worked better! One person, (from Chicago) had no rust after 10 years AS A DAILY DRIVER! Ask Stuchamp what that means!

I now had two groups of products. One that shouldn't work, but did, and one that should work, but in some cases didnt. 'My' product simply combines both groups, bridges the gap so to speak, therefore should be better.

Comparing SPL and 'mine': SPL is 90% cost, 10% labour, the other 10% cost, and 90% labour!

UJ

UJ
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: