classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Old cars as Art!
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:45 am    Post subject: Old cars as Art! Reply with quote

I know Rick is familiar with some of my art but for those that haven't yet had the chance to see what kind of stuff I'm doing at the moment I'll post a few pics here.

Thanks go to Rick for allowing this shameless bit of self publicity! Embarassed

I work mainly in oils on canvas and each painting can take anything up to six weeks or more depending on the size and how much detail is required.
I have been working on a commision only basis for a couple of years now but in between commisions I also like to paint small watercolours.

The size of my paintings vary enormously because I have to paint to the size the customer specifically asks for, but given the choice I like to keep them around "20" x 16" or 24" x 30".

The watercolours are much quicker to do being smaller at around 12" x 16" unframed.

The theme of most of my work is Motoring, and I quite often tend to paint vehicles in a poor state of repair. I just love to see flaky paint and the tracks of rust stained lines on the bodywork - it brings out the restoration urge in me! Smile

This first painting is of an old Rover P4, I try to capture that magical moment when you just catch a glimpse of something interesting peeking out of a garage or barn someplace!

Next up, well it's not only indoors that hidden treasure can be found... take a look in the hedgerows the next time you're driving across country!

Farmyards are also a good place to find old gold, I called this next painting the 'Retired couple'!

Going on holiday maybe? Well take a trip now to Paris France, and parked before the Eiffel tower is one of my favourite modes of transport!
I made this a dusk setting so that I could paint the tower lit up and the shooting star adding to the romance of that city!

Finally, back to England and the long drive home. two friends are settled back into the luxurious leather back seat, maybe they're a little sleepy as you drive the last few miles down country lanes to their home.
The moon and your old jaguars headlamps are lighting the way, the signpost for your turning is just ahead.

This last one I took inspiration from an existing painting that I came across in an old newspaper, I changed it a little and added colour as the picture that I had was in black and white, I hope you liked the result.

The jaguar drivers above were of course the lucky ones, riding in an old MkVII was at the opposite end of the scale to those working class families from the north of England, for us no Jaguars swished along, just the bus tyres swishing in the never ending rain of the English north west!

I remember as a kid standing cold and miserable waiting for the bus with my mother, what luxury it was to climb aboard that old Leyland Tiger with it's steamed up windows and seats that felt like carpet!

So that's just a few of the paintings that I have sold recently, I hope they brought back some memories!
If you would like me to post more feel free to ask, similarly, if you would like to discuss a possible commision I can be contacted via my email from this forum.

thanks for looking folks!

The Old-Nail.
Stuchamp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, you have a lot of talent there! Very Happy
James_N

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yellow and black 2cv Very Happy limited edition weren't they. only made in 1983 Smile
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea of painting motors in disrepair!
Uncle Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice, very nice indeed. I especially liked the coach, mainly because it reminded me of school trips when I was a kid!
mercmog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: superb paintings Reply with quote

superb Paintings love the one with the Jaguar, the way you caught the headlamps shining is amazing please post more when you do them. cheers
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments fellas, here's just a few more....

I'm often torn between painting cars as they were in their prime or as they have become with age.
On the one hand you get the chance to see the old motors in their heyday, on the other I try to depict the appeal that a 'saveable' car has when discovered.

These next paintings show cars in good condition starting with the 1951 Zephyr 6, and a 50's bond minicar (MkIV I think?)

Here's a representation of a 'daily driver' Isetta in need of some renovation, and also a Messerschmitt KR sitting out in the sun.

Finally, for totally dereliction check out the Austin A35 below...could you save it? Confused

buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I rekon I could!! he he

I prefere the cars in the disrepair state as I have an interest in old cars like many of us, and I supose they are rusty, or mine are! I thinke it is a bit rare painting things in a less than perfect state, alot of paintings you see have been "edited" so they represent the subject in an idealistic way!

Thats my oppinion anyhow!

Cheers

dave
mercmog

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: again fab paintings Reply with quote

Old-Nail wrote:
Thanks for your comments fellas, here's just a few more....

I'm often torn between painting cars as they were in their prime or as they have become with age.
On the one hand you get the chance to see the old motors in their heyday, on the other I try to depict the appeal that a 'saveable' car has when discovered.

These next paintings show cars in good condition starting with the 1951 Zephyr 6, and a 50's bond minicar (MkIV I think?)

Here's a representation of a 'daily driver' Isetta in need of some renovation, and also a Messerschmitt KR sitting out in the sun.

Finally, for totally dereliction check out the Austin A35 below...could you save it? Confused

have you thought about doing a calender? i think it would be a winner. put as many on here as you like there great
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calander sounds good!
xkjaguar

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as a continuation on a theme heres a little something ive made for my grandson for xmas
apologies to those who have already seen it on popularclassics.net or autoshite

www.picasaweb.google.com/xkjaguar/rocker

its all made out of tree
cedar in fact
buzzy bee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

That is real neat!! Whonder why there was rocking horses widely made but not rocking bikes! I would have wanted one if I was a little smaller!!

Your Gandson is going to have one decent Christmas!!

Cheers

Dave
admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Old Nail

Been working on any other pieces of artwork lately?

Rick
Cool
Scotty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are excellent! Very Happy

Do you do line drawings as well, or is it only paintings?
Old-Nail

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been doing many car related paintings recently as I am quite busy fulfilling portrait commissions which are my main source of income.

I have had some rather unusual requests for portraits recently including one of the former fellow - Boltonian Fred Dibnah, right through to someones pet boxer dog!

I'm lucky enough to have a few vehicle related commissioned works lined up too including a nice pink! 1958 PA Cresta, and a couple of Jaguars.

As an on-going project (ie one that will take several months to paint) I have it in mind to paint an old scrapyard scene containing hundreds of classic cars, some piled up on top of each other and others standing complete and 'save-able'. I'll include some rare finds too, so the viewer can take a second or third long look and still discover new ones tucked away that hadn't been seen on the first viewing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Classic & Vintage Cars, Lorries, Vans, Motorcycles etc - General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: