classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Magneto
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
Rootes75

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Magneto Reply with quote

My youngest has grown a real interest in Stationary Engines over the last couple of years, he is only 5.

When my Grandparents died a few years back I rescued a few Stationary Engines and amongst them was a 5hp JAP, quite a nice and unusual engine. I recently dragged it out and started to take a look at its operation, it turns over well with good compression but the mag produces no spark that I can see.

Is there a simple way of checking the Magneto is working correctly?
peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough my brother in law just asked me the same question at the weekend (re a British Seagull outboard).

Separate the points with a piece of paper and connect one side of a 6 volt battery to the fixed side of the points then give a quick touch of the other battery terminal to the moving point. You should get a health spark at the plug if the coil is OK. (Polarity is unimportant.)

This is quite likely because the common failure of magnetos is loss of magnetism. In the outboard the magnet forms part of the circumference of the flywheel and couples with pole pieces that pass through the coil.

Peter
Kenham

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am guessing that if fitted to a 5 hp JAP it is a Wico A type magneto. All you can really do is give it a good clean , take out the points and clean properly to remove pitting put it back together and try it. Most old magneto's usually work when cold ,problems arise when hot with dodgy coils and condensers breaking down. One thing to make sure of is the piece of insulation between the points spring and the mag body is fitted if it is an A type. This is only a quick way to see if it does produce a spark of sorts of course.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One problem I have had on much used grass cutting equipment is a build up of rust on the armature and fixed section. An air gap, although very small is required in order for the system to create an induction in the coil.

Put a meter across the coil and spin the mag, if there is no voltage rise, check coil continuity and the air gap. Both present and no spark would point to either the condenser/capacitor, wiring, points problem or Plug.
Rootes75

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a Wico mag, next time I am at the shed I am going to remove it and give it a good clean.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: