classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1930s Siddeley: What coating for chassis bolts and hardware?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration
greenbeam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: 1930s Siddeley: What coating for chassis bolts and hardware? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I've been searching around this and other forums for some info, but not found anything definitive.

My question: What should be used to coat the nuts, bolts, brackets on the chassis of a 1930's Armstrong Siddeley?

At the moment the items have a thick coating of gunge and old paint. How would they have come from the factory?:
a. With some kind of 'oxide' coating (black oxide for example).
b. With a coat of black chassis paint (ie assembled bare and then painted with the rest of the chassis).
c. With a thick coating of gunge and old paint - applied in the factory Wink
d. Something else (what?).

I'm in Australia, so not worried about damp, wet storage and raging rust. It's a ground-up, complete dismantle restoration, so I'd like to do it right and do it once.

Regards,
Paul - Adelaide, Australia
1963 Sunbeam Alpine S3 Sports Tourer - on the road
1935 Armstrong Siddeley 17HP Sports Saloon - unrestored, in pieces
goneps

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul,

There's been a fair bit of discussion on this subject from time to time on Morris Register (GB) forums. The conclusion, deduced from a close study of photographs and film of cars being built at Cowley, is that the entire chassis and running gear, minus wheels but possibly with engine and transmission already installed, was sprayed with black stove enamel before being passed through an oven.

Admittedly most of Morris' production methods would have been quite different from those at Armstrong Siddeley and other quality makers, but it's not unreasonable to suppose that in this respect a similar procedure was followed by most manufacturers in the 'thirties. Quite likely it was just the standard of the time.

Richard
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> Bodywork & Paint Restoration All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: