classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Pocket knife.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans)
kevin2306

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Pocket knife. Reply with quote

It always seemed to be that my granddad and father in law carried a pocket / pen knife.
Has this practise now died out or do you still carry one, perhaps a Swiss Army knife or similar?

Kev
Uncle Alec

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never without one, or a piece of string, or a small wad of toilet paper.
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always used to, until one day I went into a supermarket in scruffy old clothes on my way to work on a dirty building site. Security didn't like the look of me and, worse luck, had some matey coppers on hand. Got pulled into a back room and searched to find whatever it was they thought I'd nicked - they were so disappointed not to find anything, but not to worry as I ended up being dragged off to the local cop shop and cautioned for posessing an "offensive weapon" - an ordinary pocket knife, just like all the other blokes on the site had in their pockets. This is something that wants watching as the law is so vague, basically anything with a blade or a point can be classed as an offensive weapon if the rozzers feel like doing so, and of course it's so much easier than going after real criminals...

It still smarts as, although I could just have put it down to experience at the time, two or three years later the Blair government invented the SIA - until which point I had a nice little job in security - and tightened up on criminal record checks for all sorts of other things, and that caution still blocks me from doing many jobs to this day. It's especially galling as although I'm barred from, or unlikely to get, a particular job, someone from eastern Europe who's just got off the ferry can walk straight into the job whatever they did at home. The only thing that matters is they have no criminal record here in Britain, no real effort is made to check up on them before they arrived and some countries (Poland, for example) simply refuse to play ball in any case.

The SIA, incidentally, is still going strong, although it was one of the quangos that Scameron promised to abolish should the Tories get in at the 2010 election... Rolling Eyes
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have an old scout knife with screwdrivers,scissors,bottle opener,corkscrew and a couple of blades. I have had it for years but I don't carry it with me.
exbmc

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject: Knives Reply with quote

I always have a small (31/2") lock knife in my work bag, and a cheapo swiss army type knife in my outdoor coat. As BB says, the law is so vague, that I sometimes wonder if I am out of order.
There is a man in the local paper, who, while being treated at the hospital for an overdose, had a lock knife found in a pocket. He was not threatening anyone, but was charged with possession in public.
They may have been over zealous, as he also lay in front of a train while drunk. This stopped the train departing the station until he was removed.
Anyway, £300+ fines and a 12 month community order with curfew, is what he got.
I have wondered whether to call at the police station, and ask if I am ok to carry my knife, but may not like the answer.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my old wartime family jack knife, but in my travelling bag, in my golf bag, in the car and the kitchen drawer are various Swiss army knives I've collected or been given over the years. The one without the corkscrew stays at home, the most prolific in the car, and the standard in my travelling bag. I'd hate to forget to put it in the case one day and have it seized at the airport customs since we have probably done more than 70,000 miles together over the years. As an aside, I've never seen anyone with the bigger than standard variety. I mean, what would you do with this for example?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wenger-Giant-Swiss-Army-Knife/dp/B000R0JDSI
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
From .GOV.UK
Quote:
Basic laws on knives
It is illegal to:

sell a knife of any kind to anyone under 18 years old (16 to 18 year olds in Scotland can buy cutlery and kitchen knives)
carry a knife in public without good reason - unless it’s a knife with a folding blade 3 inches long (7.62 cm) or less, eg a Swiss Army knife
carry, buy or sell any type of banned knife
use any knife in a threatening way (even a legal knife, such as a Swiss Army knife)
Lock knives (knives with blades that can be locked when unfolded) are not folding knives, and are illegal to carry in public without good reason.

The maximum penalty for an adult carrying a knife is 4 years in prison and a fine of £5,000.

Good reasons for carrying a knife
Examples of good reasons to carry a knife in public can include:

taking knives you use at work to and from work
taking knives to a gallery or museum to be exhibited
the knife is going to be used for theatre, film, television, historical reenactment or religious purposes, eg the kirpan some Sikhs carry
A court will decide if you’ve got a good reason to carry a knife if you’re charged with carrying it illegally.

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
clan chieftain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a mine of useful information Penman. Cool My grandfather always carried a small penknife as he was a pipe smoker.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ho Chief
No not a mine of info, I just have this inquisitive gene that, when someone asks a question or wonders about something, makes me think "I wonder if I can find that?"

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
Peter_L

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman wrote:
Ho Chief
No not a mine of info, I just have this inquisitive gene that, when someone asks a question or wonders about something, makes me think "I wonder if I can find that?"

I did the same, because I too am curious about many things.

My opinion, the answer to the posted problem may reside with the chief constable. However anything with the words legal or law often also involves costs.
lowdrag

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Knives Reply with quote

exbmc wrote:
I have wondered whether to call at the police station

You still have one? You are very lucky indeed.
winchman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to the Bladed Instrument law after 30 years of carrying a knife I no longer carry it when out and about.
I have one in my car tool kit though and one on my belt at work that I remove if we pop out as its all to easy to be caught out
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Knives Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
exbmc wrote:
I have wondered whether to call at the police station

You still have one? You are very lucky indeed.

We still have a police station as well. Of course, I'm not saying it's ever open or anything extravagant like that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Motoring & Collectables (inc Classic Caravans) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: