classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Lagonda 16/80 Special Six Tourer, my new acquisition...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Lagonda Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
An old friend of mine used to work for Lagonda making the mudguards and other panels by hand. No presses in those days. Sadly he passed away a couple of years ago.
Have you converted your "D" tail lights to LEDs to reduce the risk of some clown running into the back of you? If not you can buy kits from Classic Dynamo and Regulator Conversions which fit the lights perfectly and are much brighter than the originals. see their website at www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com
No but that's definitely on the list of things to do this winter so thanks for the link.

Just to be safe I fitted a bicycle led rear light on the spare wheel for the run down to Goodwood and back.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wanting to convert the Minor's lighting (6v system) to LEDs. Having used the little Morris in the dark I can honestly say the original lighting is woeful at best. Out in the sticks without any other traffic around it's just about decent enough to keep the car bowling along at 40mph, but as soon as a vehicle approaches from behind their headlights swamp the area and casts such a dark shadow of my car ahead of me that my headlamps might as well be off.

1932 Morris Minor S.V. Two-Seater
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
I'm wanting to convert the Minor's lighting (6v system) to LEDs. Having used the little Morris in the dark I can honestly say the original lighting is woeful at best. Out in the sticks without any other traffic around it's just about decent enough to keep the car bowling along at 40mph, but as soon as a vehicle approaches from behind their headlights swamp the area and casts such a dark shadow of my car ahead of me that my headlamps might as well be off.

That is what I found when driving the Dodge; only the Dodge being a big car it has consequently a bigger shadow.!

It seems to depend on how bright the following car's lights are and how close they get. Often they wanted to overtake because the Dodge was quite slow ( but not as slow as my Austin Swallow which is mechanically an Austin Seven)... but being a big car they had to wait until there was a suitable gap.

With the little Austin, they tend to squeeze by. Shocked

I have invested in halogen headlamp bulbs for my MG TC. Personally, I feel they are perfectly bright enough and have a much better beam spread than LEDs which don't work that well with old fashioned reflectors...but each to their own, I suppose.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent innovation are LED headlamp bulbs with their own reflectors built into the body of the bulb. So if you have headlamps that are 90+years old and the reflectors are not in great condition, it doesn't matter from a functional point of view.

Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
The most recent innovation are LED headlamp bulbs with their own reflectors built into the body of the bulb. So if you have headlamps that are 90+years old and the reflectors are not in great condition, it doesn't matter from a functional point of view.

I had not realised there was a solution like that.

Thanks.
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I changed a few years ago I could find perfectly acceptable 5 watt equivalents for side lamps and instrument panel. Headlamp LEDs were not as good as the filament lamps but a big advantage for night time town driving. I couldn't find any LEDs that were as good as the usual 22 watt brake light bulbs so I've stuck with the originals for them.

http://www.nostalgiatech.co.uk/LED%20Lighting.htm

Peter.
MVPeters

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter
There are some BA15S 1156 LEDs being advertised as 100W - whilst they cannot possibly be that powerful, they are extremely bright.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/233223892218?hash=item364d3a2cfa%3Ag%3AMW8AAOSwaShdlNYw&LH_BIN=1

80W 1157 stop/tail LEDs are also out there from the same vendor, though I have not tried them.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.classicbulbs.co.uk/categories/classic-bulbs-led-headlamps

The above link mentions LED bulbs with lenses that focus their beam.

peter scott

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys there are clearly a lot more choices of LED bulbs since I converted.

Peter
peter scott

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/100000243865059/videos/1220387865192601/
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crashbox wrote:
Are they a warm white or that inappropriate brilliant white?
Rich5ltr

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read that there are often issues with LED bulbs in vintage (and PVT) cars because they draw such little power that they don't overcome weak earths and poor connections. ANy thoughts?
MVPeters

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Thanks guys there are clearly a lot more choices of LED bulbs since I converted.
Peter

Yes, like electric cars, LEDs are an emerging technology. There's quite a way to go.
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:42 am    Post subject: Lights Reply with quote

It is essential with all bulbs to have a good earth. When I ordered a new loom I specified earth wires for all lights. Never had any trouble since but years ago back in UK I had earth problems because the car relied on earthing through the various body parts and with rust developing in the body joints the connections were not the best. Got a bit of fright one night when cruising along an unlit country road and suddenly the lights all went off and luckily two minutes later they came back on. Never able to find the cause but when I got time I improved the earthing.
The LEDs above sound ok but they are 58 mm long and may not fit all cars.
Crashbox

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich5ltr wrote:
Crashbox wrote:
Are they a warm white or that inappropriate brilliant white?

In the link I posted, there are bulbs available in both. There's even a bulb that emits a yellow light for classic French vehicles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: