classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Ace manual tyre changer (HF) circa 1960 seized
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
1pound

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: Ace manual tyre changer (HF) circa 1960 seized Reply with quote

Hi
I recently bought (see picture) Ace manual tyre changer (HF) circa 1960.

I asked before leaving if it was working yes was the answer from the guys wife who was left to deal with me. When I got home I realised honesty is not the best policy for some.

Anyway does anybody know (or have instructions) how to remove the cone? Is it threaded by that 4 spoked thing? It wont budge at the moment and it would help to know how to remove it to mount a tyre. The rest I'm fine with - lots of youtube for that Smile

[img][/img]
peter scott

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heating to red heat is a pretty foolproof way of unseizing rusted screw threads. This really means oxy-acetylene. If do you don't have this then take it to somewhere that does.

Peter
1pound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
Heating to red heat is a pretty foolproof way of unseizing rusted screw threads. This really means oxy-acetylene. If do you don't have this then take it to somewhere that does.

Peter

okay its just I dont know where the thread is on this.

If somebody who has used an Ace could tell me how the cone is secured and where that's what would help.
47p2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From your picture it looks like a slip fit and held in place with a pin through the top, possibly using different size spacers for a correct fit
1pound

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
From your picture it looks like a slip fit and held in place with a pin through the top, possibly using different size spacers for a correct fit

yes it looks like you might be right - I found this picture on ebay the guy want £200 for it - are they really worth that?

47p2

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much like hard work, too easy to damage a rim, too easy to damage yourself or a tyre... Leave it to the professionals

My local garage charges me £5.00 to change a tyre over so would take 40 changes before I broke even
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

47p2 wrote:
Too much like hard work, too easy to damage a rim, too easy to damage yourself or a tyre... Leave it to the professionals

My local garage charges me £5.00 to change a tyre over so would take 40 changes before I broke even

I'd agree, I have one of these tyre changes ; one challenge is that they need perminent fixture to the ground, and then space all around, so end up taking a load of space, ok if one has free space or changing loads of tyres, but otherwise it just got in the way 99% of the time Confused so its in storage somewhere !!

Dave
Dipster

Location: UK, France and Portugal - unless I am travelling....

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to use one of these back in the 60`s! As I recall I had a pneumatic bead breaker to unseat the tyre, the wheel was then plopped on to the seat, the conical piece went on next, a pin went through the lowest hole and the top part of that was unscrewed to take up the play. A quick swizz round with the special tyre lever and the tyre was half off. Lift up the lower portion of the tyre, lever again and the tyre was off.

I am pretty sure that was how I used it but it is 50 years ago......

It earnt a lot of money for the garage (and me!). It was busiest on Saturdays, our busiest MOT day, when so many cars in that period had poor tyres. We were able to sell replacements there and then to enable a certificate to be issued. And, very often, whoever was fitting tyres got a nice tip of the punter.

Happy days!
Phil - Nottingham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a modern version (made in China?) and painted bright red. The cone just unscrews anticlock using the X handles. Its only a big nut welded in the tube and a big threaded stud/stud so heat may be needed on that. They work well
Land Rover S2 & S3
Morris Mini Traveller Mk2
Whitegoatie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not seen one of those for a long time, I changed hundreds of tyres on one just like that (sans rust) in the seventies.

You break the bead by locating the hook of the hinged tool in the holes on the post below the cone, and pushing the spade part between the rim and the bead of the tyre, both sides.

The wheel then goes on to the table with the shallow dish of the wheel rim facing up, then the cone screws down, centralising the rim and you drop a bolt through the cone and through a wheel stud hole to stop it spinning.

You then hook the ball end of the long tool under the tyre bead, then pull the tool to the middle and wind the tyre off using the centre post as a pivot/lever. The other end of the long tool is used to slip the tyre back on to the rim.

Heat should free the cone, or keep giving it a squirt of WD and tapping with a mallet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: