classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

Is there a door lock expert in the house?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
52classic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Is there a door lock expert in the house? Reply with quote

The Zodiac MKII is nearing completion. Mainly just the interior and a few bits of chrome left to do and then...... As an afterthought before putting the door cards back on I tried the N/S front door lock! Latch is fine, external lock and handle are fine but the button lock works the opposite way to the drivers side one. When in the up position it is locked and down it is unlocked.

Mechanism now removed from the door and even when held in the hand it is the same and no sign of any adjustment which could correct matters.

All ideas gladly received.
Peter_L

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely clueless answer.

Are the R.H and L.H locks mirrored, so a RH side would fit on Left but upside down ?
52classic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. My first thought was that the car had a 'wrong side' lock fitted but no such luck. The mechanism is mirrored but could only fit one way up.

My best hope is to get a pic of someone else's lock to see if any of the pawls are missing or broken.
Penman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
Second row down shows 2 locks which appear to be mirrored.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=zodiac+mkii+door+lock&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZ1NGg05bNAhWhOsAKHQcbCXoQ_AUICCgC&biw=1280&bih=669#imgrc=_

Any 2 from:-
Straight 6
V8 V10
52classic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Penman, thank you! Starting with your detective work and the second pic on the top row, I learned that the mechanism shown WOULD work as I think it should - button down for lock.

However, then I learned that the lock in the pic is for a Low Line MKII and apparently High Lines (as ours) are supposed to have the button UP to lock. Maybe it is our driver's side one that is wrong but now the mystery is solved I am happy to live with that.

My next mission is to find a set of ZODIAC letters for the bonnet then it will be a downhill run to getting the car on the road.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: