classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

1953 Ford Anglia E494A
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc
alastairq

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an ex-leccy board chain hoist given to me [donated]....by a retiring engineer [for computer services rendered by my last wife]..
It needed a stout beam to hook onto, however.
I use my daughter's old skateboard to move engines around the floor these days...

For a grand and a half I'd really like one of these.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235303026123
----------------------------------------------
Ford Pop chassis, Ashley 1172 bodyshell, in pieces.
bjacko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:03 am    Post subject: Car Hoist Reply with quote

I tossed up buying a Quickjack which is similar and I am sure very useful. They are very heavy which needs to be considered and I have decided I am too old and bought a big trolley jack instead. Still got to get down and under but I have trouble getting up again!!
alastairq

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, I have trouble firstly, getting down without resembling an avalanche, secondly, trying to get up again when needed.
The lift I quoted is indeed a heavy piece of kit.

I went to get one with a chum, and ended up taking a small vehicle trailer, which allowed fork lift access.

The weight , though, is somewhat reassuring regarding stability.
However, one has to be aware of the height to which the machine will raise a vehicle [like a series Land Rover?]. Try it inside one's shed or workshop, and the roof of the building can be in jeopardy!

However, the height the machine raises vehicles to, means that working on a wheel station, for example, can be accomplished whilst sitting on an ordinary chair.

The lifting part actually rolls quite easily , so is easy enough to pull or push.

However, bearing in mind the point I made above, regarding the ease of access to cheap tools and stuff, getting hold of something like a caravan mover [motorised jockey wheel?] isn't so vastly expensive these days,and can be hitched up to the lifting part to helpfully move it wherever needed.

A hard floor or standing is essential, as the roller wheels aren't very large in diameter.

The beauty of this kit is the way it folds ''flat'' for storage.
It can be stored literally underneath a car if necessary [it will fit neatly under an MGB, for example]
Thus, when not in use, one doesn't have a hulking gert lump of kit always getting in the way.
The space it occupies when in use, doesn't become wasted space when not in use.

As we get older, and less flexible inmovement, so I have come to realise, instead of buying project vehicles of interest, my money is better spent on tools which make my life easier to manage.
Ray White

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suffer from painful hands which makes things difficult and a painful knee which doesn't help. I also have a weak memory but at nearly 70 it might just be an age thing.
bjacko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:44 am    Post subject: Jacks Reply with quote

The problem with short wheelbase vehicles like a mini is the unit has to be turned 90 degrees i.e. across the car.
You are just a boy Ray I am going on 86!
Ray White

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Jacks Reply with quote

bjacko wrote:
The problem with short wheelbase vehicles like a mini is the unit has to be turned 90 degrees i.e. across the car.
You are just a boy Ray I am going on 86!

I hope, like you, I still have my marbles when I am 86...if I last that long, of course. Razz
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alastairq wrote:
I had an ex-leccy board chain hoist given to me [donated]....by a retiring engineer [for computer services rendered by my last wife]..
It needed a stout beam to hook onto, however.
I use my daughter's old skateboard to move engines around the floor these days...

For a grand and a half I'd really like one of these.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/235303026123

I picked this hydraulic lift up off eBay last year for about ?500, what I like about it is that as well as lifting the whole vehicle up about 1200mm, you can then pivot to raise the front or rear up to standing eye level.

https://youtu.be/oe9yWhhF48M?si=cTlP21YIET4ZjMax

Its German made, movable with a bit of grunt!

Dave
alastairq

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that lift....
The tilt facility might be handy for overnight bleeding of hydraulic brakes too?

[Not that I've got hydraulic brakes to bother with]
peter scott

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks great! What stops the car running off the back?

Peter
bjacko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 6:35 am    Post subject: Car Hoist Reply with quote

Or off the front
ukdave2002

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2023 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Car Hoist Reply with quote

peter scott wrote:
That looks great! What stops the car running off the back?

Peter
bjacko wrote:
Or off the front

There are a variety of attachments for the feet that you can select to ensure its secure, the "C" shaped ones work well on old cars as they fit round solid beam axles.

Dave
garyjpaterson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got all the valves out now. Guides for the inlet valves dropped out easily, but the exhaust ones were stuck solid, so I had to wait for the remover tool to get those out.

Interestingly, they all had a washer between the spring and guide, which is not present in the repair manual or any parts lists. This seems to be the part - E493A-66512. It is of course a 10hp engine in mine.

The springs are shorter than spec. Worn or would this be to compensate for the washer? Would it be best to get new springs and not use the washers?

2 of the inlet valve stems are heavily worn, two big ridges opposite each other, the rest seem much less so but at this point it may be sensible to pick up a full set, and keep the old ones as spares.

I think the inlet seats are good for just lapping, but the exhaust ones will need cutting, hopefully i'll get that sorted soon
Ray White

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the washers are there to compensate for compressed springs (but I may be wrong). I have done this as a short term measure on a motorbike engine to stop valve bounce. Get a new set.

You can't re use those valves either. I remember in the day they were considered service items...

When refitting the valve guides, is it possible to pull them in rather than drifting? This would avoid the risk of sticking valves.
garyjpaterson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for the advice - its (almost) all back together now.
I will admit, the valve job was harder than I expected! Its all a bit tight, my hands are feeling it now.

Having a bit of a palaver with exhaust manifolds
- mine had a huge crack, which I didn't know until i removed it
- new used one from ebay seemed good, but the inlet manifold bolted to it had the wrong spacing for the carb. And of course some of the bolts holding the two manifolds together sheared, and I managed to crack the "new" one drilling it out! Embarassed

So that puts a bit of a dampener on things, as I'll need to source another one and not break it.

But, I did fire it up with no exhaust manifold, just bolted the hotspot plate to the inlet, and it seemed to run smoother than before! Hard to tell with such a brief 10s run. But I just didn't want to wait weeks to know.

I did do a compression test after fitting the head - and its mostly a success. The cylinder that previously had next to no compression back up to where it should be, as were most of the others. One was a tad lower though which was a disappointment, but I'll keep an eye on it after re-torqueing the head after a run later.
alastairq

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2024 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a member of the FSOC, does the club stores not have good used ex manifolds?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> All our old cars, vans, lorries etc All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: