classic car forum header
Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration.
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Register     Posting Photographs     Privacy     F/book OCC Facebook     OCC on Patreon

How do poly bushes work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice
rcx822

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:08 pm    Post subject: How do poly bushes work? Reply with quote

Are they called bushes or bushings? I never know.

I've dismantled my suspension so that the parts can go off for zinc plating. The car is fitted with aftermarket poly bushes all of which are the type you see in the photo below (click photo to enlarge). Two mushrooms with a steel insert inside.

Most of the steel inserts are seriously corroded. Some are now very uneven, some are loose in the bushings and some are tight.

I was thinking of getting new inserts made up in stainless steel. How tight should the inserts be within the poly bushes?

And which is the friction surface which moves when the suspension pivots around a bush? Is it:

(a) the surface between the bolt and insert?
(b) between the insert and inside of the poly bush?
(c) between the poly bush and the metal of the suspension link it's inserted into?
Bitumen Boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always though the point of either poly bushes or the rubber bushes they replace was that there isn't any friction surface at all - movement is taken as flexion of the bush material. AFAIK the two-piece design of bushes with a separate steel insert such as the one pictured is something of a fudge to make them easier to fit - all the OE rubber bushes I've come across have been in one piece with the rubber bonded to the steel.* However, people who've bought decent quality poly bushes - which generally make a point of having stainless inserts, these you have are probably fleabay fakes - seem to be happy with them, and given the lamentable quality of rubber items in the classic marketplace these days I'll probably end up going down the same road eventually.

*However, it's worth pointing out that Triumph specified top-hat bushes with separate inserts - originally in nylon, and something else again with benefit of experience - for front and rear trunnions on the Herald (and its derivatives) right from day one. These do seem to have been intended to take friction and certainly do so in service as in example (c).
MikeEdwards

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason for the two-piece is to make it possible to fit them - there's so little "give" in the material that it probably just wouldn't go through with any kind of lip on it.

There's one make of poly bush that doesn't use stainless steel tubes, and it looks like this is it. I'm pretty sure Superflex do use stainless, as I think it's them that point to another make using mild steel as a marketing point.

The whole way they work is different, though, because it's now pivoting. In many cases the centre bolt should be tightened up so that the inner tube section does not rotate, friction should keep the outer (whether it's sleeved by steel or not) from moving within the suspension part, and the only pivoting should be due to the "give" in the rubber. This is why when torqueing up suspension bolts, the weight should be on the car otherwise the rubber is under stress all the time. With a poly bush where the centre isn't bonded, all of a sudden the pivoting works very differently.

I am not a suspension expert (please, keep your "obviously.." to yourselves everyone) but this doesn't sound great, although I've no idea how it would affect anything. I don't drive my car in a way that it would make any significant difference, but I have tried to stick to rubber bushes where I can get them.
badhuis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A big negative aspect of using poly is that the damping function of rubber is gone. Which means a harsher ride, and possibly a lower life expectancy of the suspension and steering components. These components have been designed with the cushioned effect of rubber in mind. If this effect is taken away, it might gave way to fractures of other components.
While I can see the virtues, sharper steering and suspension, if proper rubber is available I use that.
SpiggyTopes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly with the Range Rover P38 the majority stick with or come back to oem ...... the rubber ones are tough to fit but give better steering and less road wander.
baconsdozen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SpiggyTopes wrote:
Certainly with the Range Rover P38 the majority stick with or come back to oem ...... the rubber ones are tough to fit but give better steering and less road wander.

That cropped up in conversation yesterday with an experienced Land Rover/Range Rover mechanic.He says he has replaced a lot of the poly type bushes with rubber to cure wandering and vague steering,some have obviously only just been fitted. Apparently many of them have not been genuine but cheap copies and in one case he reckoned the road holding was on the borderline of dangerous but transformed by refitting the original spec parts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Classic cars forum & vehicle restoration. Forum Index -> General Restoration Advice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: